my file type - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

my file type

Hi all;

How can associate my file type to my application?

That is, when i double-click on the file, my application will run and do whatever is necessary with that file.

Also, how can i associate an icon with my file type? Is there something to do with registry?

Thanx in advance...

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : Hi all;
    :
    : How can associate my file type to my application?
    :
    : That is, when i double-click on the file, my application will run and do whatever is necessary with that file.
    :
    : Also, how can i associate an icon with my file type? Is there something to do with registry?
    :
    : Thanx in advance...
    :
    You need to create two register keys, all of which are in the HKEY_CLASSES root. First you need to create key with the extension (including the dot). That key must have a standard value with a description of the file-type.
    The second key in the HKEY_CLASSES describes that file type. Inside that key you need to create a key-path called "shellopencommand", who's standard value is set to the command line, to open the file. A second subkey called "DefaultIcon" will give the icon associated with the file-type.
    A good example is the .zip file-type. Just look it up in your registry.
    Also be sure to add the necessary code to your program to handle the command line parameters.
  • _yilmaz_yilmaz Posts: 150Member
    : : Hi all;
    : :
    : : How can associate my file type to my application?
    : : That is, when i double-click on the file, my application will run and do whatever is necessary with that file.
    : : Also, how can i associate an icon with my file type? Is there something to do with registry?
    : : Thanx in advance...
    : You need to create two register keys, all of which are in the HKEY_CLASSES root. First you need to create key with the extension (including the dot). That key must have a standard value with a description of the file-type.
    : The second key in the HKEY_CLASSES describes that file type. Inside that key you need to create a key-path called "shellopencommand", who's standard value is set to the command line, to open the file. A second subkey called "DefaultIcon" will give the icon associated with the file-type.
    : A good example is the .zip file-type. Just look it up in your registry.
    : Also be sure to add the necessary code to your program to handle the command line parameters.
    :

i have created a new key called .myf, which is the extension of my file type. Then i assigned values to (Default) and Content Type.

But that's all i could do. I could'nt manage to associate my icon and application with the file type.
    Is there something to do with the PersistentHandler key?

Thanx...

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : : : Hi all;
    : : :
    : : : How can associate my file type to my application?
    : : : That is, when i double-click on the file, my application will run and do whatever is necessary with that file.
    : : : Also, how can i associate an icon with my file type? Is there something to do with registry?
    : : : Thanx in advance...
    : : You need to create two register keys, all of which are in the HKEY_CLASSES root. First you need to create key with the extension (including the dot). That key must have a standard value with a description of the file-type.
    : : The second key in the HKEY_CLASSES describes that file type. Inside that key you need to create a key-path called "shellopencommand", who's standard value is set to the command line, to open the file. A second subkey called "DefaultIcon" will give the icon associated with the file-type.
    : : A good example is the .zip file-type. Just look it up in your registry.
    : : Also be sure to add the necessary code to your program to handle the command line parameters.
    :
    : i have created a new key called .myf, which is the extension of my file type. Then i assigned values to (Default) and Content Type.
    :
    : But that's all i could do. I could'nt manage to associate my icon and application with the file type.
    : Is there something to do with the PersistentHandler key?
    :
    : Thanx...
    :
    :
    Nope. In the descriptive key you need to create a key called DefaultIcon, whose Default value is the associated icon. A nice example of this is the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTWinZipDefaultIcon key.