Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

confuse about SQL

I created a simple program using visual basic and used ms access file for storing some data. Now I heard talk about using SQL, SQL Server, MSSQL, etc. and such related terms. I need to know what SQL really means, and how it relates to my database program. Is it a separate software like ms access for using to store a data.

I am really lost, and help is really needed.

Thank you.

Zela.

Comments

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : I created a simple program using visual basic and used ms access file for storing some data. Now I heard talk about using SQL, SQL Server, MSSQL, etc. and such related terms. I need to know what SQL really means, and how it relates to my database program. Is it a separate software like ms access for using to store a data.
    :
    : I am really lost, and help is really needed.

SQL = Structured Query Language. SQL is ONLY the language used to query databases (i.e. "select * from table where foo = 1). MSAccess, SQLServer, Oracle, DB2, PostgreSQL are all databases which you can use SQL statements to get data from.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]

• lucky_melucky_me Posts: 39Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by lucky_me at 2004-8-31 9:44:50[/red][/b][hr]
    It's called as a database language use to retrieve and manimulate data in any database.(as infedal said)
    Most simple and effective language .You can learn it within a week.

: I created a simple program using visual basic and used ms access file for storing some data. Now I heard talk about using SQL, SQL Server, MSSQL, etc. and such related terms. I need to know what SQL really means, and how it relates to my database program. Is it a separate software like ms access for using to store a data.
    :
    : I am really lost, and help is really needed.
    :
    : Thank you.
    :
    : Zela.
    :
    :
    :