Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

I m running perl in Solaris OS....wht is the alternate for win32::OLE

sanihappysanihappy Posts: 18Member
Hello

I need to export graph to Excelsheet..I m running perl in Solaris OS..so Win32::OLE wont work...is there any other alternative for the same purpose..inform me abt ur views..

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    : I need to export graph to Excelsheet..I m running perl in Solaris OS..so
    : Win32::OLE wont work...is there any other alternative for the same
    : purpose..inform me abt ur views..
    :
    As I said in my reply to the message you dropped in my mailbox, "...if you are only going run the script on Win32, try to use Win32::OLE". As this is not the case, you can't use Win32::OLE to do what you're looking for. I don't know much about OLE (and certainly have never used the Perl module) but I believe the basic idea is it lets you access the functionality of other applications from yours, so you can do the things they can do. Trouble is that you can't run Excel on Solaris, and even if you could you'd need something to emulate OLE (a Windows feature) on Solaris too. I don't think you can do either of these things - maybe the first with Wine, if there even exists a Solaris Wine port (I don't think there is one).

I think you're in a situation where there isn't a pre-packaged solution to do what you want to do. That probably means you now have a few options. One would be to do the research and invest the time to implement something to do what you want (which may involve working to enhance the Excel spreadsheet writing module - you may want to speak with the author if this is your plan so your contribution can be integrated into the rest of the module easily so as to help others). Another option might be a change of platform, though I don't think I'd want to move anything server side to Win32. And a possibly even better option would be to try and find a way to do this without using the Excel format.

None of the things I've suggested are particularly easy or may not be practical. Some problems, as I'm sure you're well aware, don't have a nice simple "here you go" answer. And some of these problems are related to computer programming too. :-)

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• sanihappysanihappy Posts: 18Member
    : : I need to export graph to Excelsheet..I m running perl in Solaris OS..so
    : : Win32::OLE wont work...is there any other alternative for the same
    : : purpose..inform me abt ur views..
    : :
    : As I said in my reply to the message you dropped in my mailbox, "...if you are only going run the script on Win32, try to use Win32::OLE". As this is not the case, you can't use Win32::OLE to do what you're looking for. I don't know much about OLE (and certainly have never used the Perl module) but I believe the basic idea is it lets you access the functionality of other applications from yours, so you can do the things they can do. Trouble is that you can't run Excel on Solaris, and even if you could you'd need something to emulate OLE (a Windows feature) on Solaris too. I don't think you can do either of these things - maybe the first with Wine, if there even exists a Solaris Wine port (I don't think there is one).
    :
    : I think you're in a situation where there isn't a pre-packaged solution to do what you want to do. That probably means you now have a few options. One would be to do the research and invest the time to implement something to do what you want (which may involve working to enhance the Excel spreadsheet writing module - you may want to speak with the author if this is your plan so your contribution can be integrated into the rest of the module easily so as to help others). Another option might be a change of platform, though I don't think I'd want to move anything server side to Win32. And a possibly even better option would be to try and find a way to do this without using the Excel format.
    :
    : None of the things I've suggested are particularly easy or may not be practical. Some problems, as I'm sure you're well aware, don't have a nice simple "here you go" answer. And some of these problems are related to computer programming too. :-)
    :
    : Jonathan
    :
    : ###
    : for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    : (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    : /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");
    :
    :

The perl is installed in the unix server but all the users run the script in the Windows 2000 only...so can u think i can install the win32 module in the unix server and execute the code in the Windows OS..

thanking you

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    : : : I need to export graph to Excelsheet..I m running perl in Solaris OS..so
    : : : Win32::OLE wont work...is there any other alternative for the same
    : : : purpose..inform me abt ur views..
    : : :
    : : As I said in my reply to the message you dropped in my mailbox, "...if you are only going run the script on Win32, try to use Win32::OLE". As this is not the case, you can't use Win32::OLE to do what you're looking for. I don't know much about OLE (and certainly have never used the Perl module) but I believe the basic idea is it lets you access the functionality of other applications from yours, so you can do the things they can do. Trouble is that you can't run Excel on Solaris, and even if you could you'd need something to emulate OLE (a Windows feature) on Solaris too. I don't think you can do either of these things - maybe the first with Wine, if there even exists a Solaris Wine port (I don't think there is one).
    : : I think you're in a situation where there isn't a pre-packaged solution to do what you want to do. That probably means you now have a few options. One would be to do the research and invest the time to implement something to do what you want (which may involve working to enhance the Excel spreadsheet writing module - you may want to speak with the author if this is your plan so your contribution can be integrated into the rest of the module easily so as to help others). Another option might be a change of platform, though I don't think I'd want to move anything server side to Win32. And a possibly even better option would be to try and find a way to do this without using the Excel format.
    : : None of the things I've suggested are particularly easy or may not be practical. Some problems, as I'm sure you're well aware, don't have a nice simple "here you go" answer. And some of these problems are related to computer programming too. :-)
    : : Jonathan
    : : ###
    : : for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    : : (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    : : /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");
    :
    : The perl is installed in the unix server but all the users run the
    : script in the Windows 2000 only...so can u think i can install the
    : win32 module in the unix server and execute the code in the Windows
    : OS..
    :
    I don't believe that's possible. Especially given that I suspect the data is server side too, and that is where you normally run the scripts.

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");