How do i pass Integer by reference? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

How do i pass Integer by reference?

antsmanantsman Posts: 4Member
Could someone please tell me how to change the value of an Integer by reference? Whats wrong with my code below? why isnt after y 5

public class Test
{
Test(){}

public void change(Integer x)
{
x = new Integer(5);
}

public static void main(String[] args)
{
Test app = new Test();

Integer y = new Integer(100);

System.out.println("Before Y = " + y);

app.change(y);
System.out.println("After Y = " + y);
}

}

Output
Before Y = 100
After Y = 100

Comments

• VilanyeVilanye Posts: 684Member
    Java passes by value.

After your code calls change(), you have x and y pointing to the same object. This line: x = new Integer(5);, creates a new object that x references to, but y still references the original object. To change y change this line: app.change(y);, to y = app.change();. You don't have to pass y to change() since Integer is immutable. I wish they would add a set method to wrapper classes like this, it would make life a bit easier.

: Could someone please tell me how to change the value of an Integer by reference? Whats wrong with my code below? why isnt after y 5
    :
    : public class Test
    : {
    : Test(){}
    :
    : public void change(Integer x)
    : x = new Integer(5);
    : }
    :
    : public static void main(String[] args)
    : Test app = new Test();
    :
    : Integer y = new Integer(100);
    :
    : System.out.println("Before Y = " + y);
    :
    : app.change(y);
    : System.out.println("After Y = " + y);
    :
    :
    :
    : Output
    : Before Y = 100
    : After Y = 100
    :

• antsmanantsman Posts: 4Member
    : Java passes by value.
    :
    : After your code calls change(), you have x and y pointing to the same object. This line: x = new Integer(5);, creates a new object that x references to, but y still references the original object. To change y change this line: app.change(y);, to y = app.change();. You don't have to pass y to change() since Integer is immutable. I wish they would add a set method to wrapper classes like this, it would make life a bit easier.
    :
    :
    : : Could someone please tell me how to change the value of an Integer by reference? Whats wrong with my code below? why isnt after y 5
    : :
    : : public class Test
    : : {
    : : Test(){}
    : : public void change(Integer x)
    : : x = new Integer(5);
    : : }
    : : public static void main(String[] args)
    : : Test app = new Test();
    : : Integer y = new Integer(100);
    : : System.out.println("Before Y = " + y);
    : : app.change(y);
    : : System.out.println("After Y = " + y);
    : : Output
    : : Before Y = 100
    : : After Y = 100
    :
    :
    Thanks. After reconstructing my code it works. However, it there any way to change the value of y using the reference to y, which is x, in the change() method?
  • gregbkgregbk Posts: 6Member
    Here is the code to change y from 100 to 5, here change() returns an integer value 5.

public class Test {

Test(){}

public int change() {
    return 5;
    }

public static void main(String[] args) {
    int y = 100;
    Test app = new Test();

System.out.println("Before Y = " + y);

y = app.change();
    System.out.println("After Y = " + y);
    }
    }

: Java passes by value.
    :
    : After your code calls change(), you have x and y pointing to the same object. This line: x = new Integer(5);, creates a new object that x references to, but y still references the original object. To change y change this line: app.change(y);, to y = app.change();. You don't have to pass y to change() since Integer is immutable. I wish they would add a set method to wrapper classes like this, it would make life a bit easier.
    :
    :
    : : Could someone please tell me how to change the value of an Integer by reference? Whats wrong with my code below? why isnt after y 5
    : : public class Test
    : : Test(){}
    : : public void change(Integer x)
    : : x = new Integer(5);
    : : public static void main(String[] args)
    : : Test app = new Test();
    : : Integer y = new Integer(100);
    : : System.out.println("Before Y = " + y);
    : : app.change(y);
    : : System.out.println("After Y = " + y);
    : : Output
    : : Before Y = 100
    : : After Y = 100
    :
    :

• arb123arb123 Posts: 696Member
    [red]: Thanks. After reconstructing my code it works. However, it there any way to change the value of y using the reference to y, which is x, in the change() method?
    : [/red]

There isn't a way to de exactly what you want (in the C/C++ sense of changing a value at a memory address). However, you can use a member on an object to achieve a similar effect.

[code]
    public class Ref {

public void change(Data data) {
    data.i = 123;
    }

public static void main(String[] args) {
    Data d = new Data();
    d.i = 4;
    System.out.println(d.i);
    new Ref().change(d);
    System.out.println(d.i);
    }

}

class Data {
    public int i;
    }
    [/code]

---------------------------------
    [size=1]HOWTO ask questions: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html[/size]