Retrieving data from a table - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Retrieving data from a table

I was on before trying to retrieve data from a table. My error was "type mismatch in expression". I checked and corrected the errors that I had but was left with this error. I was told that it had to do with the way my field was defined in the table, not as Text but as a Memo, for the size. I changed the data type per Access Help to 'OLE Object' but the query still will not work.

My question:
I want to retrieve the data from a table, put it in a form to be emailed. How can I do this? I have been trying just the old run a query to parse the form fields but it is not working.

Any help would be appreciated.
AB

Comments

• FlakesFlakes Posts: 642Member
    : I was on before trying to retrieve data from a table. My error was "type mismatch in expression". I checked and corrected the errors that I had but was left with this error. I was told that it had to do with the way my field was defined in the table, not as Text but as a Memo, for the size. I changed the data type per Access Help to 'OLE Object' but the query still will not work.
    :
    : My question:
    : I want to retrieve the data from a table, put it in a form to be emailed. How can I do this? I have been trying just the old run a query to parse the form fields but it is not working.
    :
    : Any help would be appreciated.
    : AB
    :

http://www.aspfaqs.com/aspfaqs/ShowFAQ.asp?FAQID=138

If you still have the error,can we see the query you are using and a bit of the code?
  • spinster50spinster50 Posts: 12Member
    : : I was on before trying to retrieve data from a table. My error was "type mismatch in expression". I checked and corrected the errors that I had but was left with this error. I was told that it had to do with the way my field was defined in the table, not as Text but as a Memo, for the size. I changed the data type per Access Help to 'OLE Object' but the query still will not work.
    : :
    : : My question:
    : : I want to retrieve the data from a table, put it in a form to be emailed. How can I do this? I have been trying just the old run a query to parse the form fields but it is not working.
    : : Any help would be appreciated.
    : : AB
    :
    :
    : http://www.aspfaqs.com/aspfaqs/ShowFAQ.asp?FAQID=138
    :
    : If you still have the error,can we see the query you are using and a bit of the code?
    :
    Thanks and I made sure that the Letter was the last in the query, it is also the last in the join also.

Here is a code example - should I read it into a certain kind of field or space?

<%@ Language=VBScript %>

<%
    Dim strConnection
    Dim Conn
    Dim RSobj
    Dim strSql
    Dim filePath

filePath = Server.MapPath("information.mdb")
    Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    Conn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source =" & filePath
    Set RSobj = Conn.Execute("SELECT a.InterestChecked,a.BillNumber,a.BillTitle,Prefix,r.FirstName,r.MiddleName,r.LastName," & _
    "Suffix,r.Address,r.City,r.State,r.PostalCode,FullName,Title,Nickname,Organization,c.Address,c.City," & _
    "c.State,c.PostalCode,s.Letter FROM Bill_Information a,Registration r,Contact c, Sample_Letters s " & _
    "WHERE a.InterestChecked = r.InterestChecked AND r.InterestChecked = c.InterestChecked AND c.InterestChecked = " & _
    "s.InterestChecked AND a.InterestChecked = 1")

%>

<%
    RSobj.Close
    Conn.close
    %>

<%=RSobj("Prefix").Value%>
    <%=RSobj("r.FirstName").Value%>
    <%=RSobj("r.MiddleName").Value%>
    <%=RSobj("r.LastName").Value%>
    <%=RSobj("Suffix").Value%>
    <%=RSobj("r.Address").Value%>
    <%=RSobj("r.City").Value%>
    <%=Response.Write(", ")%>
    <%=RSobj("r.State").Value%>
    <%=RSobj("r.PostalCode").Value%>

<%=RSobj("FullName").Value%>
    <%=RSobj("Title").Value%>
    <%=RSobj("Nickname").Value%>
    <%=RSobj("Organization").Value%>
    <%=RSobj("c.Address").Value%>
    <%=RSobj("c.City").Value%>
    <%=RSobj("c.State").Value%>
    <%=RSobj("c.PostalCode").Value%>

<%=RSobj("Letter").Value%>
    : : : I was on before trying to retrieve data from a table. My error was "type mismatch in expression". I checked and corrected the errors that I had but was left with this error. I was told that it had to do with the way my field was defined in the table, not as Text but as a Memo, for the size. I changed the data type per Access Help to 'OLE Object' but the query still will not work.
    : : :
    : : : My question:
    : : : I want to retrieve the data from a table, put it in a form to be emailed. How can I do this? I have been trying just the old run a query to parse the form fields but it is not working.
    : : : Any help would be appreciated.
    : : : AB
    : : http://www.aspfaqs.com/aspfaqs/ShowFAQ.asp?FAQID=138
    : : If you still have the error,can we see the query you are using and a bit of the code?
    : Thanks and I made sure that the Letter was the last in the query, it is also the last in the join also.
    :
    : Here is a code example - should I read it into a certain kind of field or space?
    :
    : <%@ Language=VBScript %>
    :
    :
    : <%
    : Dim strConnection
    : Dim Conn
    : Dim RSobj
    : Dim strSql
    : Dim filePath
    :
    :
    : filePath = Server.MapPath("information.mdb")
    : Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    : Conn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source =" & filePath
    : Set RSobj = Conn.Execute("SELECT a.InterestChecked,a.BillNumber,a.BillTitle,Prefix,r.FirstName,r.MiddleName,r.LastName," & _
    : "Suffix,r.Address,r.City,r.State,r.PostalCode,FullName,Title,Nickname,Organization,c.Address,c.City," & _
    : "c.State,c.PostalCode,s.Letter FROM Bill_Information a,Registration r,Contact c, Sample_Letters s " & _
    : "WHERE a.InterestChecked = r.InterestChecked AND r.InterestChecked = c.InterestChecked AND c.InterestChecked = " & _
    : "s.InterestChecked AND a.InterestChecked = 1")
    :
    :
    : %>
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

: <%
    : [red]RSobj.Close
    : Conn.close[/red]
    : %>
    :

:

:
    :
    :
    :
    :

: <%=RSobj("Prefix").Value%>
    : <%=RSobj("r.FirstName").Value%>
    : <%=RSobj("r.MiddleName").Value%>
    : <%=RSobj("r.LastName").Value%>
    : <%=RSobj("Suffix").Value%>
    : <%=RSobj("r.Address").Value%>
    : <%=RSobj("r.City").Value%>
    : <%=Response.Write(", ")%>
    : <%=RSobj("r.State").Value%>
    : <%=RSobj("r.PostalCode").Value%>
    :
    :

:

:

:
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : <%=RSobj("Title").Value%>
    : <%=RSobj("Nickname").Value%>
    : <%=RSobj("Organization").Value%>
    : <%=RSobj("c.Address").Value%>
    : <%=RSobj("c.City").Value%>
    : <%=RSobj("c.State").Value%>
    : <%=RSobj("c.PostalCode").Value%>
    :

:

:

:
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

Why are you closing the recorset there ? remove those lines and lets take it from there.
    : : : : I was on before trying to retrieve data from a table. My error was "type mismatch in expression". I checked and corrected the errors that I had but was left with this error. I was told that it had to do with the way my field was defined in the table, not as Text but as a Memo, for the size. I changed the data type per Access Help to 'OLE Object' but the query still will not work.
    : : : :
    : : : : My question:
    : : : : I want to retrieve the data from a table, put it in a form to be emailed. How can I do this? I have been trying just the old run a query to parse the form fields but it is not working.
    : : : : Any help would be appreciated.
    : : : : AB
    : : : http://www.aspfaqs.com/aspfaqs/ShowFAQ.asp?FAQID=138
    : : : If you still have the error,can we see the query you are using and a bit of the code?
    : : Thanks and I made sure that the Letter was the last in the query, it is also the last in the join also.
    : : Here is a code example - should I read it into a certain kind of field or space?
    : : <%@ Language=VBScript %>
    : : <%
    : : Dim strConnection
    : : Dim Conn
    : : Dim RSobj
    : : Dim strSql
    : : Dim filePath
    : : filePath = Server.MapPath("information.mdb")
    : : Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    : : Conn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source =" & filePath
    : : Set RSobj = Conn.Execute("SELECT a.InterestChecked,a.BillNumber,a.BillTitle,Prefix,r.FirstName,r.MiddleName,r.LastName," & _
    : : "Suffix,r.Address,r.City,r.State,r.PostalCode,FullName,Title,Nickname,Organization,c.Address,c.City," & _
    : : "c.State,c.PostalCode,s.Letter FROM Bill_Information a,Registration r,Contact c, Sample_Letters s " & _
    : : "WHERE a.InterestChecked = r.InterestChecked AND r.InterestChecked = c.InterestChecked AND c.InterestChecked = " & _
    : : "s.InterestChecked AND a.InterestChecked = 1")
    : : %>

: : <%
    : : [red]RSobj.Close
    : : Conn.close[/red]
    : : %>

: : <%=RSobj("Prefix").Value%>
    : : <%=RSobj("r.FirstName").Value%>
    : : <%=RSobj("r.MiddleName").Value%>
    : : <%=RSobj("r.LastName").Value%>
    : : <%=RSobj("Suffix").Value%>
    : : <%=RSobj("r.Address").Value%>
    : : <%=RSobj("r.City").Value%>
    : : <%=Response.Write(", ")%>
    : : <%=RSobj("r.State").Value%>
    : : <%=RSobj("r.PostalCode").Value%>

: : <%=RSobj("Title").Value%>
    : : <%=RSobj("Nickname").Value%>
    : : <%=RSobj("Organization").Value%>
    : : <%=RSobj("c.Address").Value%>
    : : <%=RSobj("c.City").Value%>
    : : <%=RSobj("c.State").Value%>
    : : <%=RSobj("c.PostalCode").Value%>

:
    :
    : Why are you closing the recorset there ? remove those lines and lets take it from there.
    :
    Sorry, that's me changing things up. Done and same error.
    pls show us the exact error message and thelline where it occurs.
    : pls show us the exact error message and thelline where it occurs.
    :
    Error Type:
    Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
    Type mismatch in expression.
    /SeniorP/Stage2/advLetter2.asp, line 15

and it occurs here:
    Set RSobj = Conn.Execute("SELECT a.InterestChecked,a.BillNumber,a.BillTitle,Prefix,r.FirstName,r.MiddleName,r.LastName," & _
    "Suffix,r.Address,r.City,r.State,r.PostalCode,FullName,Title,Nickname,Organization,c.Address,c.City," & _
    "c.State,c.PostalCode,s.Letter FROM Bill_Information a,Registration r,Contact c, Sample_Letters s " & _
    "WHERE a.InterestChecked = r.InterestChecked AND r.InterestChecked = c.InterestChecked AND c.InterestChecked = " & _
    "s.InterestChecked AND a.InterestChecked = 1")

: : pls show us the exact error message and thelline where it occurs.
    : Error Type:
    : Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
    : Type mismatch in expression.
    : /SeniorP/Stage2/advLetter2.asp, line 15
    :
    : and it occurs here:
    : Set RSobj = Conn.Execute("SELECT a.InterestChecked,a.BillNumber,a.BillTitle,Prefix,r.FirstName,r.MiddleName,r.LastName," & _
    : "Suffix,r.Address,r.City,r.State,r.PostalCode,FullName,Title,Nickname,Organization,c.Address,c.City," & _
    : "c.State,c.PostalCode,s.Letter FROM Bill_Information a,Registration r,Contact c, Sample_Letters s " & _
    : "WHERE a.InterestChecked = r.InterestChecked AND r.InterestChecked = c.InterestChecked AND c.InterestChecked = " & _
    : "s.InterestChecked AND a.InterestChecked = 1")
    :
    :

What's the datatype of a.InterestChecked?is it a number?If not,pad it with quotes

[code]
    "s.InterestChecked AND a.InterestChecked =[red] '1'[/red]")

[/code]

Also,all the interestChecked fields should be of the same datatype.

Other than that,can't see anything wrong with your query.