Passing sql results through files. - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Passing sql results through files.

gustavosserragustavosserra Posts: 201Member
Hi everyone!
Ill try to explain my problem as best I can. I have, for instance, two php files. The first show a list of possible choices, from a sql statement. This file also has the information that the second file needs to show. The second file just show details for the given option. I need to pass the details from the first file to the second. I cant store the information in an array because there are many options with lots of information, and each one is shown as a link to the second file in the html generated. I tryied to store the sql result (from mysql_query), but it is lost in the second file, using $_SESSION...

Can anyone help? If my problem needs better explanation, please let me know.
Thanks any help.

Comments

• netgertnetgert Posts: 331Member
    : Hi everyone!
    : Ill try to explain my problem as best I can. I have, for instance, two php files. The first show a list of possible choices, from a sql statement. This file also has the information that the second file needs to show. The second file just show details for the given option. I need to pass the details from the first file to the second. I cant store the information in an array because there are many options with lots of information, and each one is shown as a link to the second file in the html generated. I tryied to store the sql result (from mysql_query), but it is lost in the second file, using $_SESSION...
    :
    : Can anyone help? If my problem needs better explanation, please let me know.
    : Thanks any help.
    :
    are you using persistent connection? it is certain that on non-persistent connections the results are freed, maybe it is still valid with persistent connection
    are you calling session_start() before any attempt to use $_SESSION ?
    these are some things to look over
    then, maybe there is a way to pass only a little information to the 2nd page (using session) from which u can query the detailed information
    [hr][red][italic][b]N[/b][/red][blue]et[/blue][red][b]G[/b][/red][blue]ert[/italic][/blue][hr]

• gustavosserragustavosserra Posts: 201Member
    : : Hi everyone!
    : : Ill try to explain my problem as best I can. I have, for instance, two php files. The first show a list of possible choices, from a sql statement. This file also has the information that the second file needs to show. The second file just show details for the given option. I need to pass the details from the first file to the second. I cant store the information in an array because there are many options with lots of information, and each one is shown as a link to the second file in the html generated. I tryied to store the sql result (from mysql_query), but it is lost in the second file, using $_SESSION...
    : :
    : : Can anyone help? If my problem needs better explanation, please let me know.
    : : Thanks any help.
    : :
    : are you using persistent connection? it is certain that on non-persistent connections the results are freed, maybe it is still valid with persistent connection
    : are you calling session_start() before any attempt to use $_SESSION ?
    : these are some things to look over
    : then, maybe there is a way to pass only a little information to the 2nd page (using session) from which u can query the detailed information
    : [hr][red][italic][b]N[/b][/red][blue]et[/blue][red][b]G[/b][/red][blue]ert[/italic][/blue][hr]

I realized that I will have my entire buffer in memory, since SQL will store the result of my query. So it isnt so bad if I use an array to store the results. Thanks for your help NetGert, I reviewd your suggestions and everthing is ok! But I have one more doubt. I tryied to use argv global variable to receive a parameter in the URL. But I cant recover the value, seems like argv is not defined. Any clue?
    As always, thanks any help.
  • gustavosserragustavosserra Posts: 201Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by gustavosserra at 2004-8-21 11:54:16[/red][/b][hr]
    : I realized that I will have my entire buffer in memory, since SQL will store the result of my query. So it isnt so bad if I use an array to store the results. Thanks for your help NetGert, I reviewd your suggestions and everthing is ok! But I have one more doubt. I tryied to use argv global variable to receive a parameter in the URL. But I cant recover the value, seems like argv is not defined. Any clue?
    : As always, thanks any help.

HTTP_GET_VARS, I figured out!