Question on ".lnk" (Internet shortcuts) - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Question on ".lnk" (Internet shortcuts)

pseudocoderpseudocoder Posts: 688Member ✭✭✭
I recall a few years ago of having a .lnk file (I *believe* it was) on my desktop that opened my web browser, and redirected to a tech site. I've tried searching for .lnk, but found countless references to local disk shortcuts, and that's not what I am after, nor do I mean html documents with anchor tags.

Does anyone know how these Internet shortcuts are made? If so, could you post the procedure (Windows targets). This is for a Visual Basic project, but my question is more Internet related than VB related I believe.

TIA

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    : I recall a few years ago of having a .lnk file (I *believe* it was) on my desktop that opened my web browser, and redirected to a tech site. I've tried searching for .lnk, but found countless references to local disk shortcuts, and that's not what I am after, nor do I mean html documents with anchor tags.
    :
    : Does anyone know how these Internet shortcuts are made? If so, could you post the procedure (Windows targets). This is for a Visual Basic project, but my question is more Internet related than VB related I believe.
    :
    Right-click on your desktop, go to the New submenu and choose shortcuts. In the location, instead of clicking Browse, type a web address. Go to the next step, give the shortcut a sensible name, then finish the wizard and you have a .lnk file that points at that web address.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• pseudocoderpseudocoder Posts: 688Member ✭✭✭
    : Right-click on your desktop, go to the New submenu and choose shortcuts. In the location, instead of clicking Browse, type a web address. Go to the next step, give the shortcut a sensible name, then finish the wizard and you have a .lnk file that points at that web address.
    :
    : Hope this helps,
    :
    : Jonathan
    :
    : ###
    : for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    : (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    : /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");
    :

[blue]Jonathan, you never cease to amaze me! No wonder I couldn't find what I was looking for with .lnk... it's .url

Thank you so much.[/blue]