how the mail server work?????? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

how the mail server work??????

can any one give me the detail doc. on mail server?? ..means how it works..i need the pure technical document...pls help me...
jayanta

Comments

• : can any one give me the detail doc. on mail server?? ..means how it works..i need the pure technical document...pls help me...

Well, it's quite complicated and needs a lot of explanation.
    You'll need to read about POP3 and SMTP protocols. The first one is used to receive mail, the other one is used to send mail. Check out the official RFC pages or search for some articles.

Of course you'll need to know how to use sockets, so you can make use of the network.

I recommend you trying to write a _client_ first, and then writing server applications. Clients are much, much simpler.

--
    Piotr Horzycki, Poland
    e-mail: mediaworks at tlen.pl