beginner askin what is everthing i need to create a game....?? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

beginner askin what is everthing i need to create a game....??

what is everything i need to create a simple game(RPG,action) for java or c++,im talking about like books,software,sdk,engines etc. anything and everything...

Comments

• brownsta717brownsta717 Posts: 2Member
    also what are sum good schools that teach game design/programming??
  • ThazagerThazager Posts: 21Member
    : what is everything i need to create a simple game(RPG,action) for java or c++,im talking about like books,software,sdk,engines etc. anything and everything...
    :

Hmm, to create a game ... just for fun to play with friends or actually selling it on the market?

Some of the basics needed for making any game, are programer, artists, sounds, and game designer. For programming one needs things like, graphics, file IO, input devices, possibly networking, and computer AI.
    These are just a few things.

Thaz

• IHaveReturnedIHaveReturned Posts: 7Member
    : what is everything i need to create a simple game(RPG,action) for java or c++,im talking about like books,software,sdk,engines etc. anything and everything...
    :
    I don't know about good schools or anything but every good game has some way of keeping score... in your case experience points for each character, health points, you know what I mean
    [hr]
    I Have Returned
    (formerly Jeffrey Hope)
    Heh heh heh, I'm still Jeffrey Hope, because that's my name!

• RGSergeRGSerge Posts: 2Member
    :

Well, I am in that boat at the moment myself, founding a games design studio. Luckilly I have some very talented people on my team. Taking it from a commercial standard perspective, you need a team with a wide array of skills and some very expensive software. For example, team wise you need:

Graphics Staff (which ends up being several jobs) to create natural, organic and regular models, texture design, concept art, rigging, scene creation, animation, special effects and compositing.

Programmers who are very competant with high level languages like C++ to develop the main game script, AI, systems, work with graphics exports from software such as 3D Studio Max, Lightwave or Maya. I am not too familiar with all the ins and outs with programming.

Excellent project management and mapping from the teams leader.

Music composers with a real flare for capturing emotion, scenes and atmospheres.

The list goes on, as for software...

3D Graphics tools cost anything from $1300 to $6000. Tools include Lightwave, 3D Studio Max an Maya.

2D graphics tools (for things like texture creation), for example Photoshop which is $600

Then programming tools such as visual C++ which costs around $150 for the standard edition.

Thats if you want to create something of commercial quality. If your wanting to create something for fun, then you can use cheaper, lower quality tools and waver certain aspects of the creation process.

As for books, there are loads of excellent books on the market, just check amazon.com

Final note, www.gamasutra.com has loads of information (theory wise) on the topic of games development and recommend the best books to buy.

Hope that helps, even if it is a little overkill :)
  • BWootenBWooten Posts: 3Member
    : also what are sum good schools that teach game design/programming??
    :
    As far as a good school. Westwood offers a great Game Software Development Program! They have a great online program too.
    www.westwoodonline.edu has info on it