Kernels and shells. - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Kernels and shells.

Does a kernel already come with a shell (command interpreter) in it? Or is that something you have to add? When asking this question, I'm refering to the latest Linux kernel (2.6.7).

Comments

• johnsonmejohnsonme Posts: 57Member
    Surely a kernel comes with a shell.
  • kcmkcm Posts: 1Member
    : Does a kernel already come with a shell (command interpreter) in it? Or is that something you have to add? When asking this question, I'm refering to the latest Linux kernel (2.6.7).
    :
    i think in unix families kernel is separate from shell
  • : : Does a kernel already come with a shell (command interpreter) in it? Or is that something you have to add? When asking this question, I'm refering to the latest Linux kernel (2.6.7).
    : i think in unix families kernel is separate from shell

Yes, that's correct.
    Shell is NOT included into kernel - there is no need to do that. The kernel itself is useless until there's a program which can make use of it.

The most popular Linux shells are: Bash (Bourne-Again Shell), Korn and some C-shells (csh, tcsh, zsh). Every Linux distribution includes the first one.

--
    Piotr Horzycki, Poland
    e-mail: mediaworks at tlen.pl