Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Newbie in Linux

BondfireBondfire Posts: 28Member
Hi there,

I'd like some help on using Linux.

I have to write a C++ program that can control a robotic arm running on Linux 0S (Redhat 9.0)platform. I have done this in WinXP but i am required to use Linux as the platform....to which i'm totally new .

I know that Linux has built-in C and C++ Compilers (gcc and g++).
What i want to know is that:

1) is there any graphical-based Complier that can be used on Linux platform? Like in WinXP i'm using Borland C++ 5.02 Complier and Borland Builder 5. I understand that there is a graphical word-processor (OpenOffice) that runs on Linux and is very similar to MSOffice for Windows; so is there any graphical-based C++ complier for Linux?

2)Also is there any analogous software to Borland Builder 5 that can be used in Linux(for making interfaces)?

3) Better still, can i run/install/use Borland C++ 5.02 Complier and Borland Builder 5 in Linux?

4)Is is possible to access hardware(parallel port) in Linux?

Urgently needing your help guys!Any help will be much appreciated
Thanks in advance

Bondfire.

Comments

• ITAITA Posts: 463Member
    There is an IDE called KDevelop which runs on the KDE desktop environment in Linux which compiles C/C++ applications.

You can use a program called WINE (WINE is not an Emulator) for linux which allows (some) windows programs to be run on linux. I checked out C++ Builder in the App DB for you and it can run with WINE you'll be pleased to know. Here is the link

http://appdb.winehq.org/appbrowse.php?catId=6

www.winehq.org gives more info about WINE.
    g++ is just as good as Borland though!

Also it is possible to access the parallel port (how would we print?) - I'm not sure how to do it in C/C++ though...

Hope this helps.

ITA

• BondfireBondfire Posts: 28Member
    : There is an IDE called KDevelop which runs on the KDE desktop environment in Linux which compiles C/C++ applications.
    :
    : You can use a program called WINE (WINE is not an Emulator) for linux which allows (some) windows programs to be run on linux. I checked out C++ Builder in the App DB for you and it can run with WINE you'll be pleased to know. Here is the link
    :
    : http://appdb.winehq.org/appbrowse.php?catId=6
    :
    : www.winehq.org gives more info about WINE.
    : g++ is just as good as Borland though!
    :
    : Also it is possible to access the parallel port (how would we print?) - I'm not sure how to do it in C/C++ though...
    :
    : Hope this helps.
    :
    : ITA
    :
    Hi there!

Thanks! this is certainly helpful..

Just 1 more question...u said that that you checked out
    C++ Builder in the "App DB"..what did u mean by that?

How can i check if other programs could run with WINE?

Thanks 4 ur reply again!

Bondfire
  • BondfireBondfire Posts: 28Member
    : : There is an IDE called KDevelop which runs on the KDE desktop environment in Linux which compiles C/C++ applications.
    : :
    : : You can use a program called WINE (WINE is not an Emulator) for linux which allows (some) windows programs to be run on linux. I checked out C++ Builder in the App DB for you and it can run with WINE you'll be pleased to know. Here is the link
    : : http://appdb.winehq.org/appbrowse.php?catId=6
    : : www.winehq.org gives more info about WINE.
    : : g++ is just as good as Borland though!
    : : Also it is possible to access the parallel port (how would we print?) - I'm not sure how to do it in C/C++ though...
    : : Hope this helps.
    : : ITA
    : Hi there!
    :
    : Thanks! this is certainly helpful..
    :
    : Just 1 more question...u said that that you checked out
    : C++ Builder in the "App DB"..what did u mean by that?
    :
    : How can i check if other programs could run with WINE?
    :
    : Thanks 4 ur reply again!
    :
    : Bondfire

Duhhhh....ignore my previous mail...u meant the link of course!