Newbie in Linux - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Newbie in Linux

BondfireBondfire Posts: 28Member
Hi there,

I'd like some help on using Linux.

I have to write a C++ program that can control a robotic arm running on Linux 0S (Redhat 9.0)platform. I have done this in WinXP but i am required to use Linux as the platform....to which i'm totally new .

I know that Linux has built-in C and C++ Compilers (gcc and g++).
What i want to know is that:

1) is there any graphical-based Complier that can be used on Linux platform? Like in WinXP i'm using Borland C++ 5.02 Complier and Borland Builder 5. I understand that there is a graphical word-processor (OpenOffice) that runs on Linux and is very similar to MSOffice for Windows; so is there any graphical-based C++ complier for Linux?

2)Also is there any analogous software to Borland Builder 5 that can be used in Linux(for making interfaces)?

3) Better still, can i run/install/use Borland C++ 5.02 Complier and Borland Builder 5 in Linux?

4)Is is possible to access hardware(parallel port) in Linux?

Urgently needing your help guys!Any help will be much appreciated
Thanks in advance

Bondfire.

Comments

• ITAITA Posts: 463Member
    There is an IDE called KDevelop which runs on the KDE desktop environment in Linux which compiles C/C++ applications.

You can use a program called WINE (WINE is not an Emulator) for linux which allows (some) windows programs to be run on linux. I checked out C++ Builder in the App DB for you and it can run with WINE you'll be pleased to know. Here is the link

http://appdb.winehq.org/appbrowse.php?catId=6

www.winehq.org gives more info about WINE.
    g++ is just as good as Borland though!

Also it is possible to access the parallel port (how would we print?) - I'm not sure how to do it in C/C++ though...

Hope this helps.

ITA

• BondfireBondfire Posts: 28Member
    : There is an IDE called KDevelop which runs on the KDE desktop environment in Linux which compiles C/C++ applications.
    :
    : You can use a program called WINE (WINE is not an Emulator) for linux which allows (some) windows programs to be run on linux. I checked out C++ Builder in the App DB for you and it can run with WINE you'll be pleased to know. Here is the link
    :
    : http://appdb.winehq.org/appbrowse.php?catId=6
    :
    : www.winehq.org gives more info about WINE.
    : g++ is just as good as Borland though!
    :
    : Also it is possible to access the parallel port (how would we print?) - I'm not sure how to do it in C/C++ though...
    :
    : Hope this helps.
    :
    : ITA
    :
    Hi there!

Thanks! this is certainly helpful..

Just 1 more question...u said that that you checked out
    C++ Builder in the "App DB"..what did u mean by that?

How can i check if other programs could run with WINE?

Thanks 4 ur reply again!

Bondfire
  • BondfireBondfire Posts: 28Member
    : : There is an IDE called KDevelop which runs on the KDE desktop environment in Linux which compiles C/C++ applications.
    : :
    : : You can use a program called WINE (WINE is not an Emulator) for linux which allows (some) windows programs to be run on linux. I checked out C++ Builder in the App DB for you and it can run with WINE you'll be pleased to know. Here is the link
    : : http://appdb.winehq.org/appbrowse.php?catId=6
    : : www.winehq.org gives more info about WINE.
    : : g++ is just as good as Borland though!
    : : Also it is possible to access the parallel port (how would we print?) - I'm not sure how to do it in C/C++ though...
    : : Hope this helps.
    : : ITA
    : Hi there!
    :
    : Thanks! this is certainly helpful..
    :
    : Just 1 more question...u said that that you checked out
    : C++ Builder in the "App DB"..what did u mean by that?
    :
    : How can i check if other programs could run with WINE?
    :
    : Thanks 4 ur reply again!
    :
    : Bondfire

Duhhhh....ignore my previous mail...u meant the link of course!