Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Newbie to 3D programming: Dev-C++, SDL and OpenGL question

vimensionvimension Member Posts: 5
OK...where to start...

Right, I'm getting some research together for my 3rd year computer science project, which is a 3D park designer.
I've chosen C++ as my main language since I've used it for the past year at uni (although none of the programming we did involved graphics. They were all console applications) and I'm thinking that I'll be using OpenGL as my graphics language. I haven't totally made my mind up yet about languages so I'm open to suggestions.
I'd rather not use Java since it requires the JVM to interpret which can limit the performance of this kind of program.

I've recently downloaded SDL, which I realise is used for games programming. I've been trying to compile some example programs in Dev-C++ that use SDL, but since I'm not used to developing in Dev-C++ I don't know how to tell it where to find the SDL library. Can anyone help there?

Also does Dev-C++ come with OpenGL? I have the latest version (v5 beta)
And what else do I need to get programming with 3D graphics?
Thanks
Ammaar

Comments

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    Opengl version is dependant on your video card drivers. Currently if your drivers supports 1.5, Open GL will use that version. However you will be using only the functions that were in version 1.1 as Microsoft never updated the static libs and I have no idea why other compilers dont upgrade the libs. However I doubt that you will need more than this.

Yes most compilers come with the opengl libs.

Add -lsdl -lsdl_main in the linker options. Make sure you put the libs in the lib folder in Dev-c++ installation folder.

To start with 3d programming graphics - you need um basic 3d maths lol

Have fun.
    : OK...where to start...
    :
    : Right, I'm getting some research together for my 3rd year computer science project, which is a 3D park designer.
    : I've chosen C++ as my main language since I've used it for the past year at uni (although none of the programming we did involved graphics. They were all console applications) and I'm thinking that I'll be using OpenGL as my graphics language. I haven't totally made my mind up yet about languages so I'm open to suggestions.
    : I'd rather not use Java since it requires the JVM to interpret which can limit the performance of this kind of program.
    :
    : I've recently downloaded SDL, which I realise is used for games programming. I've been trying to compile some example programs in Dev-C++ that use SDL, but since I'm not used to developing in Dev-C++ I don't know how to tell it where to find the SDL library. Can anyone help there?
    :
    : Also does Dev-C++ come with OpenGL? I have the latest version (v5 beta)
    : And what else do I need to get programming with 3D graphics?
    : Thanks
    : Ammaar
    :