Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Zipping files in .net

gtomangtoman Member Posts: 2
I'm wondering if someone knows of a free dll to zip files.
I've written a little app that goes through a directory and all sub direcoty's and makes a backup copy of all files based on date.
What I want the app to do now is zip any files it finds that aren't allready zipped.
My app will easily do this except for the zipping part.
I could make it generate a DOS batch file that it could then run to zip the files, but I'ld rather do it all from vb.net.
This program is just a project and I wont be selling it or making money from it so I don't want to but a dll to do this (i see there a few available).
Does anyone know how I could go about doing this.
Thanks.....

Comments

• adepadep Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I'm trying to do something similar to your application, I got a free dll to create Zip files from the following site:

http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SharpZipLib/Download.aspx

I was wondering if in your application you were able to get a subset of the fiels, ordering by date, without checking the date of each single file, I cannot find something like that and I have to access to a folder with more than a million files...

• gtomangtoman Member Posts: 2
    : Hi,
    : I'm trying to do something similar to your application, I got a free dll to create Zip files from the following site:
    :
    : http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SharpZipLib/Download.aspx
    :
    : I was wondering if in your application you were able to get a subset of the fiels, ordering by date, without checking the date of each single file, I cannot find something like that and I have to access to a folder with more than a million files...
    :
    :
    : Thanks for that, actually I found that dll as well, and my app is all working great now. Zips and then deletes the files, then it makes copies of the files written to within the current month into a backup directoy, which I then burn to CD with Nero (this may change as I've just downloaded another dll call XPBurn, which lets you write CD's directly from .net.)
    An easy way around your problem could be to write the directory structure out to a text file, then use.net to read the file.
    All you need to do is run a batch file which reads something like this:
    CDdirectory
    dir *.* /s /OD > files.txt
    This will create a txt file with all directories and files, orderd by date.
    Not sure if this is what you're after but it'll take no time at all for the file to be created.
    Then it's just a matter of getting you app to read the lines from that file and do what it needs to.

Cheers

Richard T