Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

nasm org directive

buggy84buggy84 Posts: 23Member
org 100h
; some code
org 600h
; some code
does org 600h override the org 100h setting
how do i address the variables inside the org 100h block

Comments

• ASHLEY4ASHLEY4 Posts: 254Member
    : org 100h
    : ; some code
    : org 600h
    : ; some code
    : does org 600h override the org 100h setting
    : how do i address the variables inside the org 100h block
    :
    :
    Unlike the ORG directive provided by MASM-compatible assemblers, which allows you to jump around in the object file and overwrite code you have already generated, NASM's ORG does exactly what the directive says: origin. Its sole function is to specify one offset which is added to all internal address references within the section; it does not permit any of the trickery that MASM's version does.

ASHLEY4.
  • buggy84buggy84 Posts: 23Member
    : : org 100h
    : : ; some code
    : : org 600h
    : : ; some code
    : : does org 600h override the org 100h setting
    : : how do i address the variables inside the org 100h block
    : :
    : :
    : Unlike the ORG directive provided by MASM-compatible assemblers, which allows you to jump around in the object file and overwrite code you have already generated, NASM's ORG does exactly what the directive says: origin. Its sole function is to specify one offset which is added to all internal address references within the section; it does not permit any of the trickery that MASM's version does.
    :
    : ASHLEY4.
    :
    thnx but i had already read the docs
    wanted to ask that the offset to be added can be overridden with the second org or not ne wayz i tried it out and it said something abt the multiple org directives

tell me one more thing

if somebuddy writes
    jmp 07c0h:start
    msg db 'blah'
    start:
    ; the rest of the code goes here
    then it means we have put in the number 07c0h in the cs reg
    when the address is calculated 07c00h + start then we aare somewhere else if the segment where the code was loaded aint 07c0h
    actually i read somewhere that the BIOS loads the boot sector in segments ne where b.w 0 and 07c0h and it said that we shud jump to a known segment so that we can go abt doing things our way
    what i feel is that we are ending up at the wrong place by modifying the seg reg