choosing the right programming language - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

choosing the right programming language

Hi I'm a first year student in IT and I want to take additional
programming courses but I can not decide what PL to learn.
Please advice me regarding this...Thanks

Comments

• FlyingNosehairFlyingNosehair Posts: 58Member
    : Hi I'm a first year student in IT and I want to take additional
    : programming courses but I can not decide what PL to learn.
    : Please advice me regarding this...Thanks
    :
    Well, that's like asking which tool you should use to repair something in your house. It depends on WHAT you want to repair. So, ultimately, it depends on WHAT you want to do with programming. Do you want to program for scientific or engineering problems? Use Fortran. Do you want to program operating systems, system drivers, or something else that require a lot of low-level access to the computer? Use C or assembly language. Do you want to do artificial intelligence programming? Use Prolog. Different languages are better at different things. There is no best programming language. However, I'd like to point out C is used for many more things than it should used for. This is due to political and historical reasons rather than practical ones. As a result, you may end up having to learn C (or even C++) even if you're doing something like scientific applications. Also as a result, C++ is used for many things also even though it is not the best at anything and is poorly designed language overall although many programmers and computer scientists would try to have you believe otherwise. C++ is used a lot for making games even though it's not a good choice for that. I'd only recommend learning C++ if you HAVE to because it's being used a lot in your field. Anyway, maybe if you told me what you want to do, I could better guide you.