Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

mounting fat32 drive

medicinemedicine Member Posts: 24
hi , i use RH linux 9 and windows xp in my computer on same harddisk.how should i mount c,d,e,f,a drives of windows xp while linux is running?plz post the approximate configuration code to be added in various files.

Comments

• abcabc Member Posts: 443
    : hi , i use RH linux 9 and windows xp in my computer on same harddisk.how should i mount c,d,e,f,a drives of windows xp while linux is running?plz post the approximate configuration code to be added in various files.
    :

1. floppy and cdrom should already be set up (so a: and whatever letter you had for the cd are configured to mount somewhere under /mnt)

2. you need to know the layout of the win partitions and all this procedure requires root anyway, so login as root ([blue]su -[/blue] will do) and run [blue]fdisk -l /dev/hda[/blue] (this assumes you have only one IDE hdd; if you have more than that, the rule is: /dev/hd*, with *=a, b, c, d for the primary master, slave, secondary master, slave in this order; if you have a sata or scsi hdd, then change /dev/hd* to /dev/sd*). If you have "W95 FAT32" in the last column for your partitions, you're fine; if it's "HPFS/NTFS", you are out of luck (afair RH does not include the NTFS read module in their kernels and write is unsupported anyway)

... so, assuming you have FAT32 partitions in XP ...

3. count them (duh!), then make directories where to mount them (typically under /mnt, say /mnt/win_c and so on; to tel which is which, the rule is: primary partitions are hda1-4, logical ones are hda5+); make sure everyone has "rwx" rights on them ([blue] chmod a+rwx /mnt/win_c[/blue])

4. edit /etc/fstab to add the corresponding entries of the form (set up the options according to your needs, see the man page for mount for details)
    [code][blue]/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0[/blue][/code]

the default "auto" option makes sure they will be mounted ar boot; for now, you can check if everything is fine by mounting manually with [blue]mount /mnt/win_c[/blue]
  • superjoe30superjoe30 Member Posts: 174
    : : hi , i use RH linux 9 and windows xp in my computer on same harddisk.how should i mount c,d,e,f,a drives of windows xp while linux is running?plz post the approximate configuration code to be added in various files.
    : :
    :
    : 1. floppy and cdrom should already be set up (so a: and whatever letter you had for the cd are configured to mount somewhere under /mnt)
    :
    : 2. you need to know the layout of the win partitions and all this procedure requires root anyway, so login as root ([blue]su -[/blue] will do) and run [blue]fdisk -l /dev/hda[/blue] (this assumes you have only one IDE hdd; if you have more than that, the rule is: /dev/hd*, with *=a, b, c, d for the primary master, slave, secondary master, slave in this order; if you have a sata or scsi hdd, then change /dev/hd* to /dev/sd*). If you have "W95 FAT32" in the last column for your partitions, you're fine; if it's "HPFS/NTFS", you are out of luck (afair RH does not include the NTFS read module in their kernels and write is unsupported anyway)
    :
    : ... so, assuming you have FAT32 partitions in XP ...
    :
    : 3. count them (duh!), then make directories where to mount them (typically under /mnt, say /mnt/win_c and so on; to tel which is which, the rule is: primary partitions are hda1-4, logical ones are hda5+); make sure everyone has "rwx" rights on them ([blue] chmod a+rwx /mnt/win_c[/blue])
    :
    : 4. edit /etc/fstab to add the corresponding entries of the form (set up the options according to your needs, see the man page for mount for details)
    : [code][blue]/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0[/blue][/code]
    :
    : the default "auto" option makes sure they will be mounted ar boot; for now, you can check if everything is fine by mounting manually with [blue]mount /mnt/win_c[/blue]
    :

You know those little 128 mb sticks of memory you can get at Best Buy or wherever. I think the file system is FAT32. Linux doesn't recognize this and can't read it. Can I mount this the same way?

_____ __________ _____
    _____-[red]SUPERJOE30[/red]-_____