Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Installation/Setup program, creating

ITAITA Posts: 463Member
Ok, I've nearly finished creating my program but I've realised that because of variables which will have to be set on the user's machine I will have to create a setup program. I know I can use the setup project in VS but I'm unsure how to use it. Is it possible to code a setup project by hand? What would be the best approach (I've realised I need to write the the user's registry so that I can do file association and find out where files are stored etc.)? Please help - I just need some general advice on installation progs - I've never created one before.

Many thanks, (for this and all my other posts).

ITA

Comments

• deobrat_tcetdeobrat_tcet Posts: 3Member
    : Ok, I've nearly finished creating my program but I've realised that because of variables which will have to be set on the user's machine I will have to create a setup program. I know I can use the setup project in VS but I'm unsure how to use it. Is it possible to code a setup project by hand? What would be the best approach (I've realised I need to write the the user's registry so that I can do file association and find out where files are stored etc.)? Please help - I just need some general advice on installation progs - I've never created one before.
    :
    : Many thanks, (for this and all my other posts).
    :
    : ITA
    :

i guess you have already installed visual studio. If you have also installed MSDN along with VS.NET, then 70% of your problem is solved. You can go to the samples and walkthroughs section of MSDN and find relevent help topics.

Alternatively, you can use easy to tune setup creators like Setup Factory 6.0 etc. these programs have an easy to use interface and you can customise your setup to do almost anything you want it to do

Hope it solves your problem......

regards