Random text - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Random text

GameFreak7744GameFreak7744 Posts: 36Member
How would you pick a random piece of text from a text file and store it in a variable?

Comments

• NeakNeak Posts: 87Member
    : How would you pick a random piece of text from a text file and store it in a variable?
    :
    :
    This is how I would do it... roughly.
    Let's say that the file looks like this:
    [red]foo
    bar[/red]
    [code]<?php
    $fopened = fopen(file, r); //Open the file... just for reading.
    $string = fread(fopened); //Read it into a string.
    $exploded = explode("/r/n", $string); //Separate it by newline into an array.
    $rand = rand(0, count($exploded)); //Randomize a number between 0 and the number of elements of the array.
    echo "The random word is:/n". $exploded[$rand]; // Echo element $rand of array $exploded
    fclose(file); //Close it.
    ?>
    [/code]
    That's how I would do it. It would either echo "foo" or "bar." Now, if you wanted to separate the words by spaces, not new lines, you would just change the "/r/n" to " ".
  • GameFreak7744GameFreak7744 Posts: 36Member
    : : How would you pick a random piece of text from a text file and store it in a variable?
    : :
    : :
    : This is how I would do it... roughly.
    : Let's say that the file looks like this:
    : [red]foo
    : bar[/red]
    : [code]<?php
    : $fopened = fopen(file, r); //Open the file... just for reading.
    : $string = fread(fopened); //Read it into a string.
    : $exploded = explode("/r/n", $string); //Separate it by newline into an array.
    : $rand = rand(0, count($exploded)); //Randomize a number between 0 and the number of elements of the array.
    : echo "The random word is:/n". $exploded[$rand]; // Echo element $rand of array $exploded
    : fclose(file); //Close it.
    : ?>
    : [/code]
    : That's how I would do it. It would either echo "foo" or "bar." Now, if you wanted to separate the words by spaces, not new lines, you would just change the "/r/n" to " ".
    :

makes sense to me, only one problem - i dont know how to tell it *what* file to open :P
  • NeakNeak Posts: 87Member
    [code]<?php
    $fopened = fopen([blue]file[/blue], r); //Open the file... just for reading.
    $string = fread($fopened); //Read it into a string.
    $exploded = explode("/r/n", $string); //Separate it by newline into an array.
    $rand = rand(0, count($exploded)); //Randomize a number between 0 and the number of elements of the array.
    echo "The random word is:/n". $exploded[$rand]; // Echo element $rand of array $exploded
    fclose(file); //Close it.
    ?>
    [/code]
    : makes sense to me, only one problem - i dont know how to tell it *what* file to open :P

Replace the word "file" in blue above with the path of the text file you want to look through.
    [b][red]This message was edited by GameFreak7744 at 2004-6-23 22:6:25[/red][/b][hr]
    i'm getting some big bad errors that i cant fix:

Warning: Wrong parameter count for fread() in /home/public2/public_html/indexframe.php on line 25
    ""
    Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/public2/public_html/indexframe.php on line 29

any ideas?

EDIT: RE-the second error, um, should it be 'fclose($fopened)' rather than the file path?
  • Johnny13Johnny13 Posts: 128Member
    the parameters of fopen are (string filename,string mode)
    so it's
    [red]'file'[/red],not file
    [red]'r'[/red],not r
    you can also use array_rand function:[code]echo"The random word is:".$exploded[array_rand($exploded)];[/code]
    [b][red]This message was edited by GameFreak7744 at 2004-6-25 1:56:42[/red][/b][hr]
    : the parameters of fopen are (string filename,string mode)
    : so it's
    : [red]'file'[/red],not file
    : [red]'r'[/red],not r
    : you can also use array_rand function:[code]echo"The random word is:".$exploded[array_rand($exploded)];[/code]
    :

yeah. i can also use 'file_get_contents' rather than 'fopen' and then 'fread'

EDIT:
    I also find it better to use '#' insted of next line or space. however (no matter which kind i use) when it shows the last on in the file it adds a space to the end of it, any ideas how to remove this.