Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Mac programmer wants Windows advice

On Macintosh computers I can find my way around. Programming in Basic, C, C++, AppleScript, etc.
Now I want to start for Windows and I am looking for advice what programming environment I should/could use.

My first project should become a little program which involves a small database (probably XML format), automatic logging into a website, retrieving the text of a webpage and automatic submitting a web-form.

Any ideas are welcome.

John

Comments

• ITAITA Posts: 463Member
    : On Macintosh computers I can find my way around. Programming in Basic, C, C++, AppleScript, etc.
    : Now I want to start for Windows and I am looking for advice what programming environment I should/could use.
    :
    : My first project should become a little program which involves a small database (probably XML format), automatic logging into a website, retrieving the text of a webpage and automatic submitting a web-form.
    :
    : Any ideas are welcome.
    :
    : John
    :

Well seeing you have skills in C++ I'd just continue using that to develop but just learn how to program for Windows (Windows GUI C++ is UGLY code). Alternatively you could learn some Qt (cross platform lib) which would enable you to develop programs which can be used on Windoze, Mac and Linux and which is easy to use and has nice code!

Otherwise if you want to just be a Window$ programmer then I'd learn C# because it's like C++ but easier and doesn't have horrible syntax like VB.NET (IMHO).

Hope this helps,

ITA

"Let us smite the evil slime eating hordes who may befall us on our quest to be the ultimate programmers of the known universe!"