Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Spellchecker

emcpeteemcpete Posts: 3Member
Hi,

I just started Python so please forgive my "newness".

I need to create a Windows XP program that will spellcheck the word processing screen of a proprietary database program that my office uses.

I don't have access to the database's api or source code so I was thinking that the program could simply spellcheck the active window of whatever program the user is running on their computer.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction for this project?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : Hi,
    :
    : I just started Python so please forgive my "newness".
    :
    : I need to create a Windows XP program that will spellcheck the word processing screen of a proprietary database program that my office uses.
    :
    : I don't have access to the database's api or source code so I was thinking that the program could simply spellcheck the active window of whatever program the user is running on their computer.
    :
    : Can anyone help point me in the right direction for this project?

Wow, that's tough. You'd definitely need the win32 extension modules to do this. You'll also need a good reference on the win32 API. There are ways of getting handles to particular windows via the API. Assuming you can get a handle to the window you might be able to send some kind of "get text" message to the window to retreive the contents, but if it isn't a standard control then there's no guarantee you're going to get anything or have any luck. It would be much easier to create a standalone spellchecker program and copy/paste the text from the database program to it for spell checking. Someone else may have better suggestions, but probably not here on the Python board.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]

• emcpeteemcpete Posts: 3Member
    : : Hi,
    : :
    : : I just started Python so please forgive my "newness".
    : : I need to create a Windows XP program that will spellcheck the word processing screen of a proprietary database program that my office uses.
    : : I don't have access to the database's api or source code so I was thinking that the program could simply spellcheck the active window of whatever program the user is running on their computer.
    : : Can anyone help point me in the right direction for this project?
    :
    : Wow, that's tough. You'd definitely need the win32 extension modules to do this. You'll also need a good reference on the win32 API. There are ways of getting handles to particular windows via the API. Assuming you can get a handle to the window you might be able to send some kind of "get text" message to the window to retreive the contents, but if it isn't a standard control then there's no guarantee you're going to get anything or have any luck. It would be much easier to create a standalone spellchecker program and copy/paste the text from the database program to it for spell checking. Someone else may have better suggestions, but probably not here on the Python board.
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    : [code]
    : $ select * from users where clue > 0
    : no rows returned
    : [/code]
    :
    :

Thanks very much for your response. I will look into the win32 extension.