Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Converting a Flash doc to index.htm for webpage

Hello everyone!

I ran across this board doing a Google search. I am having a problem trying to get my intro page to load for my website. I made it in Swish, also saved as a Flash, and I renamed it index.htm. After FTP'ing it, I go to my page and all it shows is gibberish. I don't have my Dreamweaver root folder transferred over...is this the problem?

Is there some kind of code I need to add? I would greatly appreciate any help you might provide for me!

Comments

• WeirdofreakWeirdofreak Posts: 439Member
    Umm... Flash is Flash, whatever you call it. The reason it displays as gibberish is that the browser assumes it's HTML, which it isn't. I -think- that if you use another browser it would work (IE ignores MIME-types unless it doesn't recognise the extension - or at least that's what I've heard from many anti-IE sites. My own experience would seem to coroborate this as well, but I'm not certain), but saving a Flash movie/whatever as .htm[l] is just icky anyway.

Use a real HTML page, and show the Flash with . There are a load more properties for that, but never having used it, I don't know what they are. For what it's worth, I don't think the lack of any of them will mess it up.
    ---
    Vote D.

• tmaculatetmaculate Posts: 2Member
    thank you for your response.

i think this is where my problem lies. i am in the learning phase of dreamweaver & flash but i am wanting to use this flash file for my intro page on my website and i was told to rename it to index.htm (or save it that way...i tried both).

so in order to play this file on my index page i need not rename it but use a code to play it?

thanks again!
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    : thank you for your response.
    :
    : i think this is where my problem lies. i am in the learning phase of dreamweaver & flash but i am wanting to use this flash file for my intro page on my website and i was told to rename it to index.htm (or save it that way...i tried both).
    :
    : so in order to play this file on my index page i need not rename it but use a code to play it?
    :
    : thanks again!
    :
    Leave it as a Flash file (e.g. .swf extension). There is no way a browser could tell it's anything but HTML if you give the file a .html extension (OK, it could tell it's invalid, but anyways...) You then need to create an index.html file and "embed" the flash file in that (embed ain't a great word because you're actually referencing the file from your HTML page, like you would an image). If you're using Dreamweaver, look on the Insert menu and you should see the option to insert a Flash movie - this will most certainly do the Right Thing, though what the freak of D-votiness said about embed is going in the right direction.

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");