Compare and Contrast - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Compare and Contrast

NytbladeNytblade Posts: 56Member
What are the Pros and cons of using a MySQL database as opposed to using Oracle, MS Access, or SQL Server.

--Nytblade

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    : What are the Pros and cons of using a MySQL database as opposed to using Oracle, MS Access, or SQL Server.
    :
    Price wise, MySQL wins hands down over all of them. And if you need the professional support you can get that too for a not-too-high fee.

Access is OK for very small projects without multiple users, provided you don't mind being stuck on Windows. Oracle is known for being suited to high-end, high-demand database provision and may be overkill for smaller projects - though Oracle seem (to me) to be trying to tear down the "it's oracle so it's too expensive" option. Oracle runs on many platforms. MS SQL Server limits you to Windows again, and I'm not sure where it sits with regard to Oracle and MySQL - I'd say for high-end stuff it's somewhere in the middle.

Feature wise, MySQL goes for performance and stability over features, but more features are being implemented, e.g. v5 will have stored procedures, which were one of the main things I felt MySQL has been missing. Access isn't really a database server so doesn't offer a lot of features we'd expect really. Oracle and MS SQL are probably quite feature-full.

I'm not an expert, but that's what I know of the various options you asked about.

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");