Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

How to find a record in Dataset?

dradra Posts: 3Member
Hi,

I am using Dataset and Windows Form and want to use relative search using search key. Yes of course i can move the record pointer using absolute position, but i could not get any method or class associated with dataset to find using a search key.

Comments

• natloznatloz Posts: 54Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by natloz at 2004-6-11 7:31:57[/red][/b][hr]
    [b][red]This message was edited by natloz at 2004-6-11 7:29:18[/red][/b][hr]
    This is how I search a Dataset...
    [code]
    'Create a dataview
    dim dv as new dataview

'Associate the dataview to _oDs (Dataset table)
    dv.Table = _oDs.Tables("tblCapitalCategory")

Dim drv As DataRowView 'Data Row View object to query DataView object

'Filter based on a combo box value selected
    dv.RowFilter = "[pkCapitalCategoryID] = " & CInt(cboComboBox.SelectedValue)

'Retrieve my values returned in the result
    For Each drv In dv
    _dteDateModified = drv("dteDateModified")
    Next
    [/code]
    Hopefully you get some use of this. I use this method to search for any values in my datasets.

[code]
    dv.RowFilter is the key to the search. It is kind of like a SQL where statement on the results of the dataset.
    [/code]
    The nice thing about this method is the original dataset is not manipulated in any way. You do everything based on a manipulated view of the datasets results.

\--||--//

//--||--\

• d2prescod2presco Posts: 16Member
    I'm fairly new to .NET but this is the way i figured out how to search a dataset pulled from an MS Acess database.

basically the record text is visible so i brought up an input box and IF the textbox text matched the record text I pulled up a msg box...

Private Sub btnStockSearch_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnStockSearch.Click
    intTotalRec = BindingContext(DataSet11, "mdbShaun").Count
    intCurrentRec = 0
    Me.BindingContext(DataSet11, "mdbShaun").Position = 0
    lblRecNo.Text = intCurrentRec + 1
    Dim strStockSearch As String

strStockSearch = InputBox("Enter Stock Number EX: U9301 or 2325:", "Search for Stock Number", "Type Here", , )
    MsgBox("Searching", MsgBoxStyle.Information, "Searching...")
    Dim intCounter As Integer = 0
    For intCounter = 0 To (intTotalRec - 1)
    lblTotalRec.Text = intTotalRec
    'SNAG when .text boxes = strStockSearch
    If (txtStatus2.Text = ("" & strStockSearch)) Then
    MsgBox("FOUND MATCH", MsgBoxStyle.Exclamation, "FOUND MATCH")
    Else

End If
    intCurrentRec = intCurrentRec + 1
    Me.BindingContext(DataSet11, "mdbShaun").Position = tCurrentRec
    Next
    MsgBox("Finished Searching.", MsgBoxStyle.Information, "Finished.")
    intCurrentRec = 0
    Me.BindingContext(DataSet11, "mdbShaun").Position = 0
    End Sub

: Hi,
    :
    : I am using Dataset and Windows Form and want to use relative search using search key. Yes of course i can move the record pointer using absolute position, but i could not get any method or class associated with dataset to find using a search key.
    :
    :

• natloznatloz Posts: 54Member
    : I'm fairly new to .NET but this is the way i figured out how to search a dataset pulled from an MS Acess database.
    :
    : basically the record text is visible so i brought up an input box and IF the textbox text matched the record text I pulled up a msg box...
    :
    : Private Sub btnStockSearch_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnStockSearch.Click
    : intTotalRec = BindingContext(DataSet11, "mdbShaun").Count
    : intCurrentRec = 0
    : Me.BindingContext(DataSet11, "mdbShaun").Position = 0
    : lblRecNo.Text = intCurrentRec + 1
    : Dim strStockSearch As String
    :
    : strStockSearch = InputBox("Enter Stock Number EX: U9301 or 2325:", "Search for Stock Number", "Type Here", , )
    : MsgBox("Searching", MsgBoxStyle.Information, "Searching...")
    : Dim intCounter As Integer = 0
    : For intCounter = 0 To (intTotalRec - 1)
    : lblTotalRec.Text = intTotalRec
    : 'SNAG when .text boxes = strStockSearch
    : If (txtStatus2.Text = ("" & strStockSearch)) Then
    : MsgBox("FOUND MATCH", MsgBoxStyle.Exclamation, "FOUND MATCH")
    : Else
    :
    : End If
    : intCurrentRec = intCurrentRec + 1
    : Me.BindingContext(DataSet11, "mdbShaun").Position = tCurrentRec
    : Next
    : MsgBox("Finished Searching.", MsgBoxStyle.Information, "Finished.")
    : intCurrentRec = 0
    : Me.BindingContext(DataSet11, "mdbShaun").Position = 0
    : End Sub
    :

:
    : : Hi,
    : :
    : : I am using Dataset and Windows Form and want to use relative search using search key. Yes of course i can move the record pointer using absolute position, but i could not get any method or class associated with dataset to find using a search key.

This seems like a whole lot of code to do the same thing I showed in the previous reply, just an opinion though. I am glad that it works for you.

\--||--//

//--||--\