bash or csh question..help! - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

bash or csh question..help!

Hi, I just couldnt execute 'expr' on my script.
Here's the pseudocode of what i wanted to do and I want to run it in either shells.

echo 'enter salary: '
read salary
yr = 1
while [salary -le 110000]
do
echo yr salary
salary = 'expr $salary * 1.03'
yr ='expr $yr + 1'
done

the expr in salary always fail, sometimes with non numeric arg, or if not, its salary not found. I tried to experimented all scenarios but to no success. I am confused.
Please help!!
Thanks a lot!

Comments

• XfactorXfactor Posts: 343Member
    : Hi, I just couldnt execute 'expr' on my script.
    : Here's the pseudocode of what i wanted to do and I want to run it in either shells.
    :
    : echo 'enter salary: '
    : read salary
    : yr = 1
    : while [salary -le 110000]
    : do
    : echo yr salary
    : salary = 'expr $salary * 1.03'
    : yr ='expr $yr + 1'
    : done
    :
    : the expr in salary always fail, sometimes with non numeric arg, or if not, its salary not found. I tried to experimented all scenarios but to no success. I am confused.
    : Please help!!
    : Thanks a lot!

In bash, not sure about csh, you can't have spaces on either side of an equal sign. So instead of
    salary = 'expr $salary * 1.03'
    use
    salary='expr $salary * 1.03'

Same goes for
    yr='expr $yr + 1'

X
  • marltondudemarltondude Posts: 32Member
    Hi there, it says from 'expr $salary * 1.03'.... expr non-numeric argument, is it because of 1.03???
    and also strange as it seems, the while condition gives me salary not found error... this is a pain, please help !!!!
    Thank you so much!

: : Hi, I just couldnt execute 'expr' on my script.
    : : Here's the pseudocode of what i wanted to do and I want to run it in either shells.
    : :
    : : echo 'enter salary: '
    : : read salary
    : : yr = 1
    : : while [salary -le 110000]
    : : do
    : : echo yr salary
    : : salary =
    : : yr ='expr $yr + 1'
    : : done
    : :
    : : the expr in salary always fail, sometimes with non numeric arg, or if not, its salary not found. I tried to experimented all scenarios but to no success. I am confused.
    : : Please help!!
    : : Thanks a lot!
    :
    :
    :
    : In bash, not sure about csh, you can't have spaces on either side of an equal sign. So instead of
    : salary = 'expr $salary * 1.03'
    : use
    : salary='expr $salary * 1.03'
    :
    : Same goes for
    : yr='expr $yr + 1'
    :
    : X
    :

• XfactorXfactor Posts: 343Member
    : Hi there, it says from 'expr $salary * 1.03'.... expr non-numeric argument, is it because of 1.03???
    : and also strange as it seems, the while condition gives me salary not found error... this is a pain, please help !!!!
    : Thank you so much!
    :
    : : : Hi, I just couldnt execute 'expr' on my script.
    : : : Here's the pseudocode of what i wanted to do and I want to run it in either shells.
    : : :
    : : : echo 'enter salary: '
    : : : read salary
    : : : yr = 1
    : : : while [salary -le 110000]
    : : : do
    : : : echo yr salary
    : : : salary =
    : : : yr ='expr $yr + 1'
    : : : done
    : : :
    : : : the expr in salary always fail, sometimes with non numeric arg, or if not, its salary not found. I tried to experimented all scenarios but to no success. I am confused.
    : : : Please help!!
    : : : Thanks a lot!

The expr looks fine to me. Here is what I do notice.
    The while loop, you need to add a $ sign for salary to access the value in the variable. You also need a space between $salary and [ and 110000 and ]. For example:
    while [ $salary -le 110000 ]
    Again, you need to get rid of the spaces in your assignments. You have to have an assignment like this:
    yr=1
    with no spaces in the expression.