Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

PHP, mySQL, MS Access, web develpment - help please!

DanyDany Posts: 26Member
hi there!
I want to start practicing building an online database with a website. I bought a book on php and mySQL to get me started, though for mySQL I need a practice server (which I would need to pay for). Is there anyway maybe I can make a database (mySQL or access) at home and just practice? (just try some simple things) can I link an accessa database to something online?
Thanks!
Any other recommendations are really appreciated cuz I want to learn as much as I can and build professional sites.

Comments

• ManningManning Posts: 1,621Member
    : hi there!
    : I want to start practicing building an online database with a website. I bought a book on php and mySQL to get me started, though for mySQL I need a practice server (which I would need to pay for). Is there anyway maybe I can make a database (mySQL or access) at home and just practice? (just try some simple things) can I link an accessa database to something online?
    : Thanks!
    : Any other recommendations are really appreciated cuz I want to learn as much as I can and build professional sites.

If you go to www.apache.org to download Apache, www.php.net to download PHP, and www.mysql.org to download MySQL, you can install them all on your home machine and do all your development/testing there. They all have excellent documentation, so if you have problems setting them up be sure to check that out.
  • s7r1ngss7r1ngs Posts: 19Member
    my suggestion will be to go through the php codes available on net... they are more helpful than the book...!

Best of Luck!
  • NeakNeak Posts: 87Member
    :
    : If you go to www.apache.org to download Apache, www.php.net to download PHP, and www.mysql.org to download MySQL, you can install them all on your home machine and do all your development/testing there. They all have excellent documentation, so if you have problems setting them up be sure to check that out.
    :

It's usually a sort of bad idea to run an Apache server on windoze. :
    : :
    : : If you go to www.apache.org to download Apache, www.php.net to download PHP, and www.mysql.org to download MySQL, you can install them all on your home machine and do all your development/testing there. They all have excellent documentation, so if you have problems setting them up be sure to check that out.
    :
    : It's usually a sort of bad idea to run an Apache server on windoze. :

Says who, and for what reason?
    : : It's usually a sort of bad idea to run an Apache server on windoze. :
    :
    : Says who, and for what reason?
    :

I'm not sure, but I think there's something about it on Apache's website. Most likely because Windoze is unstable and Linux pwns!
  • weapon__xweapon__x Posts: 138Member
    : : :
    : : : It's usually a sort of bad idea to run an Apache server on windoze. :
    : : Says who, and for what reason?
    :
    : I'm not sure, but I think there's something about it on Apache's website. Most likely because Windoze is unstable and Linux pwns!
    :

I have tried Apache on M$win98 to test my php programs. seems to work fine for me. so wheres the prob? although i dont like M$ that much its all i can put my hands on ( though i have mandrake installer, i havent tried it yet!). its not good to just go on shooting your guns at someone without much of any evidence!!! it just aint that polite!!!

: I have tried Apache on M$win98 to test my php programs. seems to work fine for me. so wheres the prob? although i dont like M$ that much its all i can put my hands on ( though i have mandrake installer, i havent tried it yet!). its not good to just go on shooting your guns at someone without much of any evidence!!! it just aint that polite!!!
    :

I guess I thought that the creator of this topic was trying to run a permanent server on his windoze machine. I see now that he was just testing stuff.

I looked for a few minutes for where I saw that it wasn't a good idea, but I can't find it. I remember reading about it being a bad idea to run an Apache server on windoze in a few places talking about how to set one up. Sorry if I offended people.
  • treshrtreshr Posts: 326Member
    I use iis for a testing server in Windows XP. The installation is much easier and easier to configure.
    Don't get me wrong, if I had a Linux machine I would have used Apache, but it's just a testing server.Keep it simple.

--=][tReShR][=--

• Mr. EgoMr. Ego Posts: 38Member
    : I use iis for a testing server in Windows XP. The installation is much easier and easier to configure.
    : Don't get me wrong, if I had a Linux machine I would have used Apache, but it's just a testing server.Keep it simple.
    :
    : --=][tReShR][=--
    :
    :
    I runned Apache, PHP and MySQL both on Windoze and Linux. I don't had any problems with this.
    Apache configuration for using with PHP is quite simple. When you read documentation for PHP, there is an example of line what should be added to [b]httpd.conf[/b]. It is sufficient to copy this line into httpd.conf and then restart Apache. MySQL v4 for Win32 has a small bug, but isn't serious. There is an program which runs [italic]mysqld[/italic] (main MySQL program). When you stop [italic]mysqld[/italic], then this small application you must terminate manually. But this isn't serious and I think you won't stop [italic]mysqld[/italic] manually.

I think when you learn PHP, read about sessions, they are very useful. When you want to learn PHP good, try to make bigger project, e.g. system for adding HTML articles trough HTML interface. This is very good and useful exercise and you will learn very much things. When you finish it, you'll be able to make good programs in PHP
    Bye

: : I have tried Apache on M$win98 to test my php programs. seems to work fine for me. so wheres the prob? although i dont like M$ that much its all i can put my hands on ( though i have mandrake installer, i havent tried it yet!). its not good to just go on shooting your guns at someone without much of any evidence!!! it just aint that polite!!!
    :
    : I guess I thought that the creator of this topic was trying to run a permanent server on his windoze machine. I see now that he was just testing stuff.
    :
    : I looked for a few minutes for where I saw that it wasn't a good idea, but I can't find it. I remember reading about it being a bad idea to run an Apache server on windoze in a few places talking about how to set one up. Sorry if I offended people.

I don't think you offended anyone (not me anyway), I just wanted to know if there were facts backing up what you said or not. There are a lot of anti-MS people out there, so it's hard to tell when someone is saying something because it's the truth, or just because they don't like Microsoft.

We've switched to a different environment now, but for quite awhile we used Apache on Windows without any problems, which was why I was curious about people not recommending it.