java & Linux - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

java & Linux

abdoblabdobl Posts: 21Member
Hi....
I awnt to know if Java language is supported in Linux?, if yes,how can I run it on my machine.
I will be so happy if you help.
with my regards, abdobl..

Comments

• Jeff P.Jeff P. Posts: 196Member
    : Hi....
    : I awnt to know if Java language is supported in Linux?, if yes,how can I run it on my machine.
    : I will be so happy if you help.
    : with my regards, abdobl..
    :

Certainly, java is widely supported on Linux.
    You can check your particular distro's CD and/or website,
    or try one of these...

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html
    http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/oss/jikes/
  • Rod McCallRod McCall Posts: 13Member
    : : Hi....
    : : I awnt to know if Java language is supported in Linux?, if yes,how can I run it on my machine.
    : : I will be so happy if you help.
    : : with my regards, abdobl..
    : :
    :
    : Certainly, java is widely supported on Linux.
    : You can check your particular distro's CD and/or website,
    : or try one of these...

Yes it is widely supported. Which distribution of Linux are you using? Most I've come across have Java active by default. From there you can usually get it on command line via:

java

type java -version to find out what version you've got.

I may be wrong but is javac still the command for the compiler?

It's a while since I've used Java for anything beyond viewing applets but its certainly there if you need to do more.

Best,

Rod

Dr Rod McCall ([email protected])
    Runtime Revolution, Ltd
    Edinburgh, UK
    http://www.runrev.com
    Revolution: User-Centric Software Development Tools

• paulsmith128paulsmith128 Posts: 5Member
    Java is definately support as the others have said.

If you have not got it with your distribution you can just download the latest version from sun - they actively support Linux.

• abdoblabdobl Posts: 21Member
    : Java is definately support as the others have said.
    :
    : If you have not got it with your distribution you can just download the latest version from sun - they actively support Linux.
    :
    :
    Hi every body.
    I try doing all of this, but nothing working well,and about the downloading,I could not download anu thing,I do not know why,may be I do not know how to downloading.
    abdobl.
    thanks all.