Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

multi user application

ganesh4uganesh4u Member Posts: 68
I know how to develop single user(computer) database application using ado.("data source=c:demodemo.mdb;")(cursorlocation =aduseclient) now i want to develop database application in network environment or multi user(more than one computer) application. Please explain me all concept and requirement in details. and how to develop it

Comments

• GideonOmegaGideonOmega Member Posts: 617
    : I know how to develop single user(computer) database application using ado.("data source=c:demodemo.mdb;")(cursorlocation =aduseclient) now i want to develop database application in network environment or multi user(more than one computer) application. Please explain me all concept and requirement in details. and how to develop it
    :

Basicly it's not a lot different then a single use app. just a few key differences -

you are going to want to be able to select your db, because it will be installed seperatly from your app, so I would use something like the common dialog control to accomplish this.

I would also consider creating an ini file for your app - so that you can store the path to your db(s), and not have to set it each time you run the program.

you will also want to look into using locktypes with your ADO code to prevent files from being accessed by anyone else when it is being changed or added to by another user.

someone else asked the question of locktypes with msAcces before on this board, and it appears that Access Does not support locktypes very well with ADO - So I would consider using something like SQL Server - or maybe Oracle or DBase.

now for network shares it is easy, beacuse all the computers will have access to the network share - so all you need to do is set an absolute path to the db, although you will probably experience some slow down, depending on the optimization of the network you are working with.

now remote access can be acomplished through a few techniques, check out the controls and api's for INet, and winsock - I'm not personaly familier with INet. Now with winsock you should beable to send RS data through TCP/IP, you need a winsock on the DB side listening for connections and a array of winsock(also on the db side) to handle the data transfers between the db and the client for each connection. If you haven't looked at winsock before - I would suggest finding a good method for binary data transfer as you can transfer much larger chunks of data then if you where to use string data(I belive string data is limited to 65-70 megs, something like that) although that may be sufficient for your needs.

check out this site for good info on the winsock control http://www.winsockvb.com

Hope it helps.
    [blue]
    C:Dos
    C:Dos Run
    Run Dos Run
    [/blue]