malloc; multidimensional array; c - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

malloc; multidimensional array; c

abonghit1abonghit1 Posts: 71Member
Hello,

I am always making a workaround so I don't have to allocate memory for a multidimensional array in C. I always just make an array like
[code]
char array[MAX_ELEMENTS][2+1];
[/code]
if I need an unknown number of 2 position strings.
How would I work this out if I had some function like:
[code]
char *array[2];
count = GetNumberOfElementsIneed();
*array = malloc(count);
[/code]
and then be able to access the array contents like array[1][0] etc..?

any help would be great. i don't care how i have to do it.

Thank you!

Comments

• abcabc Posts: 443Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by abc at 2004-5-28 8:8:3[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hello,
    :
    : I am always making a workaround so I don't have to allocate memory for a multidimensional array in C. I always just make an array like
    : [code]
    : char array[MAX_ELEMENTS][2+1];
    : [/code]
    : if I need an unknown number of 2 position strings.
    [green]then you need to hold an array of pointers to your strings[/green]
    : How would I work this out if I had some function like:
    : [code]
    : [red]char **array;[/red]
    : count = GetNumberOfElementsIneed();
    : array = [red](char**)[/red]malloc(count[red]*sizeof(char*)[/red]);
    [red]//then allocate the individual arrays
    for(int i = 0; i < count; ++i)
    array[i] = (char*)malloc((2+1)*sizeof(char) );
    [/red]
    : [/code]
    : and then be able to access the array contents like array[1][0] etc..?
    [green]Don't forget to free each pointer of array and then array itself when you're done with it. Also, C does not require casting the pointer returned by malloc(), but C++ does, so it's an useful habit to pick.[/green]

• DarkLord2003DarkLord2003 Posts: 174Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by DarkLord2003 at 2004-5-27 22:28:54[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Hello,
    : :
    : : I am always making a workaround so I don't have to allocate memory for a multidimensional array in C. I always just make an array like
    : : [code]
    : : char array[MAX_ELEMENTS][2+1];
    : : [/code]
    : : if I need an unknown number of 2 position strings.
    : [green]then you need to hold an array of pointers to your strings[/green]
    : : How would I work this out if I had some function like:
    : : [code]
    : : [red]char **array;[/red]
    : : count = GetNumberOfElementsIneed();
    : : array = [red](char**)[/red]malloc(count[red]*sizeof(char*)[/red]);
    : [red]//then allocate the individual arrays
    : for(int i = 0; i < count; ++i)
    : array[i] = (char*)malloc(2*sizeof(char) );
    : [/red]
    : : [/code]
    : : and then be able to access the array contents like array[1][0] etc..?
    : [green]Don't forget to free each pointer of array and then array itself when you're done with it. Also, C does not require casting the pointer returned by malloc(), but C++ does, so it's an useful habit to pick.[/green]
    :

I think you have count and 2 mixed up, they should be interchanged. What you have would create an array for count number of strings and each string would be 2 chars longs

• abcabc Posts: 443Member
    : I think you have count and 2 mixed up, they should be interchanged. What you have would create an array for count number of strings and each string would be 2 chars longs

Well, there was one mistake - the strings should have had size of 3, not 2. For your point, look at his initial static allocation and tell me what you see.
  • abonghit1abonghit1 Posts: 71Member
    : : I think you have count and 2 mixed up, they should be interchanged. What you have would create an array for count number of strings and each string would be 2 chars longs
    :
    : Well, there was one mistake - the strings should have had size of 3, not 2. For your point, look at his initial static allocation and tell me what you see.
    :
    Thanks folks! I've never thought to use a pointer type in a call to malloc, but it makes sense.
    I appreciate the help.
    -Mike