Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

VB.Net Installer Question...Please help

natloznatloz Posts: 54Member
I have a project that I have finished.
I have created the Setup Project and have successfully installed using the Windows installer built into my project (MSI file, ini file etc...)

I made some changes to a couple of forms. What is the best method for updating the end-users computer with the changes.

The installer does not work, it says to uninstall first (it works after unistalling through ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS and then re-installing with the changes).

I want to update without unistalling.
\--||--//

//--||--\

Comments

• Xtreme.NETXtreme.NET Posts: 112Member
    in my case what i do is to make a small patch program and replace the exe and other neccessary files needed to put the update in place

[size=1][COLOR=blue]"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."[i]1Thess. 5:16-18[/i][/color][/size]

• natloznatloz Posts: 54Member
    You would think that the installer would be smarter and be able to overwrite if it detects a change in the files.

\--||--//

//--||--\

• natloznatloz Posts: 54Member
    : You would think that the installer would be smarter and be able to overwrite if it detects a change in the files.
    :
    : \--||--//
    :
    : //--||--\
    :
    :

SOLUTION:

I change the VERSION property of the Setup Project, a have the Uninstall Previous Versions property set to True. Now the install will first auto-uninstall any previous version, and will put my new program in place. Works like a charm.

\--||--//

//--||--\

• sjharpermcsesjharpermcse Posts: 2Member
    if you aren't changing a lot of files, you could probably use XCopy. Look in the VB.Net Documentation for how to do this. Maybe another solution. Probably something that would be used more with websites than with applications. But just a thought.

: : You would think that the installer would be smarter and be able to overwrite if it detects a change in the files.
    : :
    : : \--||--//
    : : //--||--\
    :
    : SOLUTION:
    :
    : I change the VERSION property of the Setup Project, a have the Uninstall Previous Versions property set to True. Now the install will first auto-uninstall any previous version, and will put my new program in place. Works like a charm.
    :
    : \--||--//
    :
    : //--||--\
    :
    :