Huge BDE installation - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Huge BDE installation

jslithonjslithon Posts: 2Member
Hi all.
Ive got stuck with problem. I wrote a small app that does simple things with a dBase table and want to deploy it to customer via Internet. But when I ask InstallShield to make an installation for me, I get a file over 10 megs!! Its too much for my simple prog. What should I do to make the size match ability? I dont need all that stuff like BDEAdmin and docs in my pack.

Comments

• nrsnnrsn Posts: 1Member
    : Hi all.
    : Ive got stuck with problem. I wrote a small app that does simple things with a dBase table and want to deploy it to customer via Internet. But when I ask InstallShield to make an installation for me, I get a file over 10 megs!! Its too much for my simple prog. What should I do to make the size match ability? I dont need all that stuff like BDEAdmin and docs in my pack.
    :
    :

Theres a funny thing available BDE32. This unit searches the registry for existing BDE files, if they are not found it writes a path to the files in ..YourProgBDE dir. Heres an underwater stone: you must choose yourself which files you need. Search the web for source.
  • jslithonjslithon Posts: 2Member
    : : Hi all.
    : : Ive got stuck with problem. I wrote a small app that does simple things with a dBase table and want to deploy it to customer via Internet. But when I ask InstallShield to make an installation for me, I get a file over 10 megs!! Its too much for my simple prog. What should I do to make the size match ability? I dont need all that stuff like BDEAdmin and docs in my pack.
    : :
    :
    : Theres a funny thing available BDE32. This unit searches the registry for existing BDE files, if they are not found it writes a path to the files in ..YourProgBDE dir. Heres an underwater stone: you must choose yourself which files you need. Search the web for source.
    :

Tried out this BDE32 What can I say This crowd of files brought together looks like a newbies homedir Listen, Ive worked on many projects and the one thing Im sure is that software must be an integer unit; otherwise it crashes down now or later. What if Ill miss one file? Thats not the solution. Is there any way to work in single-file mode?
  • elward2003elward2003 Posts: 1Member
    : : : Hi all.
    : : : Ive got stuck with problem. I wrote a small app that does simple things with a dBase table and want to deploy it to customer via Internet. But when I ask InstallShield to make an installation for me, I get a file over 10 megs!! Its too much for my simple prog. What should I do to make the size match ability? I dont need all that stuff like BDEAdmin and docs in my pack.
    : : :
    : : Theres a funny thing available BDE32. This unit searches the registry for existing BDE files, if they are not found it writes a path to the files in ..YourProgBDE dir. Heres an underwater stone: you must choose yourself which files you need. Search the web for source.
    :
    : Tried out this BDE32 What can I say This crowd of files brought together looks like a newbies homedir Listen, Ive worked on many projects and the one thing Im sure is that software must be an integer unit; otherwise it crashes down now or later. What if Ill miss one file? Thats not the solution. Is there any way to work in single-file mode?
    :

Yeap, BDE32 falls down if a previous install is corrupted and sometimes it refuses to work for no particular reason. I recommend using Absolute Database from www.componentace.com cos it uses single-file database format and the entire engine is built right into your exe. It is free for evaluation purposes and available at their site. I myself use it last half a year.

• roamerroamer Posts: 1Member
    : : : : Hi all.
    : : : : Ive got stuck with problem. I wrote a small app that does simple things with a dBase table and want to deploy it to customer via Internet. But when I ask InstallShield to make an installation for me, I get a file over 10 megs!! Its too much for my simple prog. What should I do to make the size match ability? I dont need all that stuff like BDEAdmin and docs in my pack.
    : : : :
    : : : :
    : : : Theres a funny thing available BDE32. This unit searches the registry for existing BDE files, if they are not found it writes a path to the files in ..YourProgBDE dir. Heres an underwater stone: you must choose yourself which files you need. Search the web for source.
    : : Tried out this BDE32 What can I say This crowd of files brought together looks like a newbies homedir Listen, Ive worked on many projects and the one thing Im sure is that software must be an integer unit; otherwise it crashes down now or later. What if Ill miss one file? Thats not the solution. Is there any way to work in single-file mode?
    :
    : Yeap, BDE32 falls down if a previous install is corrupted and sometimes it refuses to work for no particular reason. I recommend using Absolute Database from www.componentace.com cos it uses single-file database format and the entire engine is built right into your exe. It is free for evaluation purposes and available at their site. I myself use it last half a year.
    :
    :

Nowadays AbsoluteDB is the best solution one can choose. Dont loose time with other stuff.