Huge BDE installation - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Huge BDE installation

jslithonjslithon Posts: 2Member
Hi all.
Ive got stuck with problem. I wrote a small app that does simple things with a dBase table and want to deploy it to customer via Internet. But when I ask InstallShield to make an installation for me, I get a file over 10 megs!! Its too much for my simple prog. What should I do to make the size match ability? I dont need all that stuff like BDEAdmin and docs in my pack.

Comments

• nrsnnrsn Posts: 1Member
    : Hi all.
    : Ive got stuck with problem. I wrote a small app that does simple things with a dBase table and want to deploy it to customer via Internet. But when I ask InstallShield to make an installation for me, I get a file over 10 megs!! Its too much for my simple prog. What should I do to make the size match ability? I dont need all that stuff like BDEAdmin and docs in my pack.
    :
    :

Theres a funny thing available BDE32. This unit searches the registry for existing BDE files, if they are not found it writes a path to the files in ..YourProgBDE dir. Heres an underwater stone: you must choose yourself which files you need. Search the web for source.
  • jslithonjslithon Posts: 2Member
    : : Hi all.
    : : Ive got stuck with problem. I wrote a small app that does simple things with a dBase table and want to deploy it to customer via Internet. But when I ask InstallShield to make an installation for me, I get a file over 10 megs!! Its too much for my simple prog. What should I do to make the size match ability? I dont need all that stuff like BDEAdmin and docs in my pack.
    : :
    :
    : Theres a funny thing available BDE32. This unit searches the registry for existing BDE files, if they are not found it writes a path to the files in ..YourProgBDE dir. Heres an underwater stone: you must choose yourself which files you need. Search the web for source.
    :

Tried out this BDE32 What can I say This crowd of files brought together looks like a newbies homedir Listen, Ive worked on many projects and the one thing Im sure is that software must be an integer unit; otherwise it crashes down now or later. What if Ill miss one file? Thats not the solution. Is there any way to work in single-file mode?
  • elward2003elward2003 Posts: 1Member
    : : : Hi all.
    : : : Ive got stuck with problem. I wrote a small app that does simple things with a dBase table and want to deploy it to customer via Internet. But when I ask InstallShield to make an installation for me, I get a file over 10 megs!! Its too much for my simple prog. What should I do to make the size match ability? I dont need all that stuff like BDEAdmin and docs in my pack.
    : : :
    : : Theres a funny thing available BDE32. This unit searches the registry for existing BDE files, if they are not found it writes a path to the files in ..YourProgBDE dir. Heres an underwater stone: you must choose yourself which files you need. Search the web for source.
    :
    : Tried out this BDE32 What can I say This crowd of files brought together looks like a newbies homedir Listen, Ive worked on many projects and the one thing Im sure is that software must be an integer unit; otherwise it crashes down now or later. What if Ill miss one file? Thats not the solution. Is there any way to work in single-file mode?
    :

Yeap, BDE32 falls down if a previous install is corrupted and sometimes it refuses to work for no particular reason. I recommend using Absolute Database from www.componentace.com cos it uses single-file database format and the entire engine is built right into your exe. It is free for evaluation purposes and available at their site. I myself use it last half a year.

• roamerroamer Posts: 1Member
    : : : : Hi all.
    : : : : Ive got stuck with problem. I wrote a small app that does simple things with a dBase table and want to deploy it to customer via Internet. But when I ask InstallShield to make an installation for me, I get a file over 10 megs!! Its too much for my simple prog. What should I do to make the size match ability? I dont need all that stuff like BDEAdmin and docs in my pack.
    : : : :
    : : : :
    : : : Theres a funny thing available BDE32. This unit searches the registry for existing BDE files, if they are not found it writes a path to the files in ..YourProgBDE dir. Heres an underwater stone: you must choose yourself which files you need. Search the web for source.
    : : Tried out this BDE32 What can I say This crowd of files brought together looks like a newbies homedir Listen, Ive worked on many projects and the one thing Im sure is that software must be an integer unit; otherwise it crashes down now or later. What if Ill miss one file? Thats not the solution. Is there any way to work in single-file mode?
    :
    : Yeap, BDE32 falls down if a previous install is corrupted and sometimes it refuses to work for no particular reason. I recommend using Absolute Database from www.componentace.com cos it uses single-file database format and the entire engine is built right into your exe. It is free for evaluation purposes and available at their site. I myself use it last half a year.
    :
    :

Nowadays AbsoluteDB is the best solution one can choose. Dont loose time with other stuff.