IS IT WINDOWS REQUIRES DOS FOR PROPER WORKING?????????????????????????

FRIENDS,

IS IT DOS REQUIRED FOR WINDOWS FOR PROPER WORKING...?

THEN IF IT IS NOT, WHY IT IS OWNED AS MS-DOS?????????????????
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
??????????????????????????????????????????????..........

VERY URGENT ..........PLZ ANSWER ME?

Comments

• I think DOS is required for Windows to work because basically, especially on the earlier Windows versions Windows was not a *real* (I don't want to offend anyone - this is what I've been told - PS I am neither Linux pro or against windows, I am neutral) operating system - it was just a friendly interface for the real OS which was DOS underneath much like the KDE on Linux is just an interface to the command line.

I'm not so sure about XP and 2000 but I think that's how it works below that.

ITA
  • All versions of Windows prior to Windows9x were nothing other than programs that were run from the command line by typing "win". Windows9x changed things slightly be doing things that were extremely difficult in DOS in a significantly easier way.

Window NT 4.0, 2000, and XP have severely changed the way operating systems work.

Any NTFS partitions cannot be seen by normal DOS. When you are in Windows XP, and access the Command Prompt, what you are really seeing is an emulated (and greatly improved IMHO) version of DOS.

So, to answer your questions:

Windows 3.x 9x ------> DOS is required
    Windows NT, 2k, XP --> DOS is a nusance
  • [b][red]This message was edited by Margalo at 2005-7-13 7:4:40[/red][/b][hr]
    : All versions of Windows prior to Windows9x were nothing other than programs that were run from the command line by typing "win". Windows9x changed things slightly be doing things that were extremely difficult in DOS in a significantly easier way.
    :
    : Window NT 4.0, 2000, and XP have severely changed the way operating systems work.
    :
    : Any NTFS partitions cannot be seen by normal DOS. When you are in Windows XP, and access the Command Prompt, what you are really seeing is an emulated (and greatly improved IMHO) version of DOS.
    :
    : So, to answer your questions:
    :
    : Windows 3.x 9x ------> DOS is required
    : Windows NT, 2k, XP --> DOS is a nusance
    :
    Though i know this is a very old post I resent the phrase DOS is a nusance for when useing it you have better access to everything on the system and have more controll then windows will allow you to have Humph!
    -Margalo >:-(

• : I think DOS is required for Windows to work because basically, especially on the earlier Windows versions Windows was not a *real* (I don't want to offend anyone - this is what I've been told - PS I am neither Linux pro or against windows, I am neutral) operating system - it was just a friendly interface for the real OS which was DOS underneath much like the KDE on Linux is just an interface to the command line.
    :
    : I'm not so sure about XP and 2000 but I think that's how it works below that.
    :
    : ITA
    :

That may have been true for windows 3.x but otherwise windows is a fully fledged OS (even though it can be a little unstable at times).
  • : [b][red]This message was edited by Margalo at 2005-7-13 7:4:40[/red][/b][hr]
    : : All versions of Windows prior to Windows9x were nothing other than programs that were run from the command line by typing "win". Windows9x changed things slightly be doing things that were extremely difficult in DOS in a significantly easier way.
    : :
    : : Window NT 4.0, 2000, and XP have severely changed the way operating systems work.
    : : Any NTFS partitions cannot be seen by normal DOS. When you are in Windows XP, and access the Command Prompt, what you are really seeing is an emulated (and greatly improved IMHO) version of DOS.
    : : So, to answer your questions:
    : : Windows 3.x 9x ------> DOS is required
    : : Windows NT, 2k, XP --> DOS is a nusance
    : Though i know this is a very old post I resent the phrase DOS is a nusance for when useing it you have better access to everything on the system and have more controll then windows will allow you to have Humph!
    : -Margalo >:-(
    :
    :
    :
    :
    I agree.
    DOS is the best. good for finding hidden folders and files that you have forgotten the name of, and for anoying people who dont know how to use DOS. DOS rules!!!
  • Have DOS on old computer, and Win 2000, I want to get a new computer that'll probably have Win XP on it -- How would I go about putting DOS on it? I know they don't have DOS on the new ones now. I neeeeeed DOS for a program I use! Also, how about putting DOS on a Mac? Is it possible? Thanks !
    Amanda
  • [b][red]This message was edited by casio-games.tk at 2006-5-6 8:36:36[/red][/b][hr]
    : Have DOS on old computer, and Win 2000, I want to get a new computer that'll probably have Win XP on it -- How would I go about putting DOS on it? I know they don't have DOS on the new ones now. I neeeeeed DOS for a program I use! Also, how about putting DOS on a Mac? Is it possible? Thanks !
    : Amanda
    :
    Windows XP have DOS in it :-). I dont know about the newest stuff (Win Vista) but XP Service pack 2 includes DOS. (Probably there is some DOS-replacement too install on other operating systems like MAC but i dont know)

Though its as the pros says in this thread: Its only a simulation. Propably that's why it often takes all cpu power. Not always, not when it stops for ordinary user input. (INPUT in QBasic).

[hr][hr]
    Don't write pH, write Ph!