Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Binary data files to spreadsheet format

DrCymruDrCymru Posts: 4Member
Hi Guys,
I'm new to the board and pretty new to programming.
My problem is that I have a number of binary data files (16 bit signed).
I want to convert them to files that i can read into a spreadsheet like excel.
I have access to C++ language, (but havn't used it before).
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a utility to solve this problem....or give me a helping hand with showing me how to go about this in C++.
Many thanks in advance.
Dr C

Comments

• tvientitvienti Posts: 230Member
    Hi Dr C,

I'm sorry but your question struck me as a little vague. C/C++ have some pretty simply file I/O functions that you can use. What might save you a headache is to keep in mind that Excel can read a simple tab-seperated file as a spreadsheet. So if you want "A", "B", and "C" to show up in cells A1, B1, and C1, you can just write "A B C" to a file called "spreadsheet.xls", and Excel will read it just fine.

Hope that helps.

T

: Hi Guys,
    : I'm new to the board and pretty new to programming.
    : My problem is that I have a number of binary data files (16 bit signed).
    : I want to convert them to files that i can read into a spreadsheet like excel.
    : I have access to C++ language, (but havn't used it before).
    : I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a utility to solve this problem....or give me a helping hand with showing me how to go about this in C++.
    : Many thanks in advance.
    : Dr C
    :