ZIBADIAN...HELP!!! - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

ZIBADIAN...HELP!!!

[b][red]This message was edited by hunny_bunny at 2004-4-25 2:11:26[/red][/b][hr]
In my program, the user enters a code which is 7 characters long. the first two characters have to be letters, the next two have to be numbers and the remaining three have to be letters. i want to ensure that the user can not save any incorrect entries of that code. i need to validate it but how would i do that? i need a message dialogue box to appear when the user clicks save and if the code is wrong to say something along the lines of 'you've entered the incorrect code'

Comments

• dj_sanniedj_sannie Posts: 92Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by hunny_bunny at 2004-4-25 2:11:26[/red][/b][hr]
    : In my program, the user enters a code which is 7 characters long. the first two characters have to be letters, the next two have to be numbers and the remaining three have to be letters. i want to ensure that the user can not save any incorrect entries of that code. i need to validate it but how would i do that? i need a message dialogue box to appear when the user clicks save and if the code is wrong to say something along the lines of 'you've entered the incorrect code'
    :
    :
    :
    Hi,

i know zibadian is a guy who knows verry much about delphi, but he isn't the only one on this forum that can awnser you're question.

but u need an awnser wel here it is.
    [code]function IsChar( Charecter: Char ): Boolean;
    begin
    Result := (ord(Charecter)>=ord('a')) and (ord(Charecter)<=ord('z'));
    end;

function IsNumber( Charecter: Char ): Boolean;
    begin
    Result := (ord(Charecter)>=ord('0')) and (ord(Charecter)<=ord('9'));
    end;

procedure TForm1.Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
    begin
    if( IsChar(Edit1.Text[1]) and
    IsChar(Edit1.Text[2]) and
    IsNumber(Edit1.Text[3]) and
    IsNumber(Edit1.Text[4]) and
    IsChar(Edit1.Text[5]) and
    IsChar(Edit1.Text[6]) and
    IsChar(Edit1.Text[7]) )then
    begin
    // Do what u need to do here.
    end
    else MessageDlg( 'you''ve entered the incorrect code', mtError, [mbOK], 0 );
    end;
    [/code]

Greetz SRK.
  • MasterijnMasterijn Posts: 188Member
    : : [b][red]This message was edited by hunny_bunny at 2004-4-25 2:11:26[/red][/b][hr]
    : : In my program, the user enters a code which is 7 characters long. the first two characters have to be letters, the next two have to be numbers and the remaining three have to be letters. i want to ensure that the user can not save any incorrect entries of that code. i need to validate it but how would i do that? i need a message dialogue box to appear when the user clicks save and if the code is wrong to say something along the lines of 'you've entered the incorrect code'
    : :
    : Hi,
    :
    : i know zibadian is a guy who knows verry much about delphi, but he isn't the only one on this forum that can awnser you're question.
    :
    : but u need an awnser wel here it is.
    : [code]function IsChar( Charecter: Char ): Boolean;
    : begin
    : Result := (ord(Charecter)>=ord('a')) and (ord(Charecter)<=ord('z'));
    : end;
    :
    : function IsNumber( Charecter: Char ): Boolean;
    : Result := (ord(Charecter)>=ord('0')) and (ord(Charecter)<=ord('9'));
    :
    : procedure TForm1.Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
    : if( IsChar(Edit1.Text[1]) and
    : IsChar(Edit1.Text[2]) and
    : IsNumber(Edit1.Text[3]) and
    : IsNumber(Edit1.Text[4]) and
    : IsChar(Edit1.Text[5]) and
    : IsChar(Edit1.Text[6]) and
    : IsChar(Edit1.Text[7]) )then
    : // Do what u need to do here.
    : end
    : else MessageDlg( 'you''ve entered the incorrect code', mtError, [mbOK], 0 );
    : [/code]
    :
    : Greetz SRK.
    :
    Can also use a maskedit with a nice mask.

• MasterijnMasterijn Posts: 188Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by Masterijn at 2004-6-6 2:48:54[/red][/b][hr]
    : : [b][red]This message was edited by hunny_bunny at 2004-4-25 2:11:26[/red][/b][hr]
    : : In my program, the user enters a code which is 7 characters long. the first two characters have to be letters, the next two have to be numbers and the remaining three have to be letters. i want to ensure that the user can not save any incorrect entries of that code. i need to validate it but how would i do that? i need a message dialogue box to appear when the user clicks save and if the code is wrong to say something along the lines of 'you've entered the incorrect code'
    : Hi,
    :
    : i know zibadian is a guy who knows verry much about delphi, but he isn't the only one on this forum that can awnser you're question.
    :
    : but u need an awnser wel here it is.
    : [code]function IsChar( Charecter: Char ): Boolean;
    : Result := (ord(Charecter)>=ord('a')) and (ord(Charecter)<=ord('z'));
    :
    : function IsNumber( Charecter: Char ): Boolean;
    : Result := (ord(Charecter)>=ord('0')) and (ord(Charecter)<=ord('9'));
    :
    : procedure TForm1.Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
    : if( IsChar(Edit1.Text[1]) and
    : IsChar(Edit1.Text[2]) and
    : IsNumber(Edit1.Text[3]) and
    : IsNumber(Edit1.Text[4]) and
    : IsChar(Edit1.Text[5]) and
    : IsChar(Edit1.Text[6]) and
    : IsChar(Edit1.Text[7]) )then
    : // Do what u need to do here.
    : end
    : else MessageDlg( 'you''ve entered the incorrect code', mtError, [mbOK], 0 );
    : [/code]
    :
    : Greetz SRK.
    :
    [code]
    function Matches(const Code: string): Integer;
    type
    TCharSet = set of Char;
    const
    cStringLength = 7;
    cNumbers = ['0'..'9'];
    cABC = ['A'..'Z', 'a'..'z'];
    StrFormat : array[1..cStringLength] of TCharSet = (cNumbers, cNumbers, cABC, cABC, cNumbers, cNumbers, cNumbers);
    begin
    Result := Length(Code) + 1;
    if Result > cStringLength + 1 then
    Exit;
    for Result := 1 to Length(Code) do
    if not (Code[Result] in StrFormat[Result]) then
    Exit;
    Result := -1;
    if Length(Code) <> cStringLength then
    Exit;
    Result := 0;
    end;

procedure TfrmMain.btnMatchesClick(Sender: TObject);
    var
    Pos: Integer;
    begin
    Pos:= Matches(edInput.Text);
    case Pos of
    -1 : Application.MessageBox(Input is to short, should be 7', '', MB_OK + MB_ICONINFORMATION + MB_SETFOREGROUND + MB_TASKMODAL);
    0: Application.MessageBox('Ok', '', MB_OK + MB_ICONINFORMATION + MB_SETFOREGROUND + MB_TASKMODAL);
    else
    Application.MessageBox(PChar(Format('Error at %d', [Pos])), '', MB_OK + MB_ICONINFORMATION + MB_SETFOREGROUND + MB_TASKMODAL);
    end;
    end;
    [/code]
    This one has more user feedback and shows the use of sets and const arrays.