Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

where is msn gone?

fasfas Posts: 18Member
i have installed the msn messenger but i dont know where it has installed..plz help me.. i have installed that in kde envoirment nad i cannot find where it has been installed and where should i start it from.... im a beginner to linux plz tell me
thanx and lots of thanx

Comments

• vinay_vvinay_v Posts: 4Member
    Hey... You installed MSN messenger on Linux?? Do you get a linux version of MSN messenger?? I thought Microsoft opposed Linux & did not develop any version of its products for Linux platform....

Anyway, if you are talking about installing a windows version of MSN messenger through wine, this is quite possible.. I suggest whenever you install a program thru wine, customize the install location by specifying the install directory. That way you'll always know where it is installed. I hope you have some knowledge about the wine config file. Just check your config file to find out the drive letter for your home directory (/home/user). I have it something like 'M' drive. So you can install the programs in any path in M:** and then you'll have it installed in the appropriate path in you home directory. That way it is easily tracable.

Vinay V

• fasfas Posts: 18Member
    : Hey... You installed MSN messenger on Linux?? Do you get a linux version of MSN messenger?? I thought Microsoft opposed Linux & did not develop any version of its products for Linux platform....
    :
    : Anyway, if you are talking about installing a windows version of MSN messenger through wine, this is quite possible.. I suggest whenever you install a program thru wine, customize the install location by specifying the install directory. That way you'll always know where it is installed. I hope you have some knowledge about the wine config file. Just check your config file to find out the drive letter for your home directory (/home/user). I have it something like 'M' drive. So you can install the programs in any path in M:** and then you'll have it installed in the appropriate path in you home directory. That way it is easily tracable.
    :
    :
    : Vinay V
    :

thnx for the reply...
    but its true there is a messenger for amsn and now i know how to use it its like the webmessenger on the website e-messenger.net ... now i need help in executing file .. how do we run a program in linux...i have installed a package of realplayer and now i dont know how should i execute that program.. please reply urgently ...:
    :

: : Hey... You installed MSN messenger on Linux?? Do you get a linux version of MSN messenger?? I thought Microsoft opposed Linux & did not develop any version of its products for Linux platform....
    : :
    : : Anyway, if you are talking about installing a windows version of MSN messenger through wine, this is quite possible.. I suggest whenever you install a program thru wine, customize the install location by specifying the install directory. That way you'll always know where it is installed. I hope you have some knowledge about the wine config file. Just check your config file to find out the drive letter for your home directory (/home/user). I have it something like 'M' drive. So you can install the programs in any path in M:** and then you'll have it installed in the appropriate path in you home directory. That way it is easily tracable.
    : : Vinay V
    :
    : thnx for the reply...
    : but its true there is a messenger for amsn and now i know how to use it its like the webmessenger on the website e-messenger.net ... now i need help in executing file .. how do we run a program in linux...i have installed a package of realplayer and now i dont know how should i execute that program.. please reply urgently ...:
    :
    :
    :
    : I went through the AMSN website (amsn.sourceforge.net). Just read the Faq's there & your problem will be solved. AMSN first requires TCL/TK to be installed on your machine. Check whether you have installed that. Just go to command prompt & type "wish" command. If you get a command not found, then you first install TCL/TK from tcl.sourceforge.net

And tell me how did you install EMSN? downloaded the rpm, or the tarball, or did you build from the source? The homepage of EMSN says it distributes a tarball. This is the easiest way. Just download the tarball (if you haven't before), then extract it to any directory. (I hope you know how to extract it). It will create a directory by name "msn" in the directory where you extracted the tarball. Just "cd" to msn/ directory (cd ./msn/). Then execute it with one of the following 2 commands:
    $> ./amsn
    $> wish amsn

If you have any further doubts, check the FAQ in AMSN homepage before replying to this again.
    Feel free to ask me anything you didn't understand here. Hope I've been of some help to you...

: : : Hey... You installed MSN messenger on Linux?? Do you get a linux version of MSN messenger?? I thought Microsoft opposed Linux & did not develop any version of its products for Linux platform....
    : : :
    : : : Anyway, if you are talking about installing a windows version of MSN messenger through wine, this is quite possible.. I suggest whenever you install a program thru wine, customize the install location by specifying the install directory. That way you'll always know where it is installed. I hope you have some knowledge about the wine config file. Just check your config file to find out the drive letter for your home directory (/home/user). I have it something like 'M' drive. So you can install the programs in any path in M:** and then you'll have it installed in the appropriate path in you home directory. That way it is easily tracable.
    : : : Vinay V
    : : thnx for the reply...
    : : but its true there is a messenger for amsn and now i know how to use it its like the webmessenger on the website e-messenger.net ... now i need help in executing file .. how do we run a program in linux...i have installed a package of realplayer and now i dont know how should i execute that program.. please reply urgently ...:
    : : I went through the AMSN website (amsn.sourceforge.net). Just read the Faq's there & your problem will be solved. AMSN first requires TCL/TK to be installed on your machine. Check whether you have installed that. Just go to command prompt & type "wish" command. If you get a command not found, then you first install TCL/TK from tcl.sourceforge.net
    :
    : And tell me how did you install EMSN? downloaded the rpm, or the tarball, or did you build from the source? The homepage of EMSN says it distributes a tarball. This is the easiest way. Just download the tarball (if you haven't before), then extract it to any directory. (I hope you know how to extract it). It will create a directory by name "msn" in the directory where you extracted the tarball. Just "cd" to msn/ directory (cd ./msn/). Then execute it with one of the following 2 commands:
    : $> ./amsn
    : $> wish amsn
    :
    : If you have any further doubts, check the FAQ in AMSN homepage before replying to this again.
    : Feel free to ask me anything you didn't understand here. Hope I've been of some help to you...
    :
    :
    :
    hey im really a begginer to this linux and i have redhat installed on my pc with gui mode and i dont know very much about terminal commands i installed it through a package... which was downloaded from the amsn website... now im having problem with realplayer... i have downloaded its package and also installed it... and its not opening...i have to play mp3 files but the defalut playter isnot playing the mp3 file becouse its giving some patent license error ... so plz i need help in this matter...
    thnx

: : : : Hey... You installed MSN messenger on Linux?? Do you get a linux version of MSN messenger?? I thought Microsoft opposed Linux & did not develop any version of its products for Linux platform....
    : : : :
    : : : : Anyway, if you are talking about installing a windows version of MSN messenger through wine, this is quite possible.. I suggest whenever you install a program thru wine, customize the install location by specifying the install directory. That way you'll always know where it is installed. I hope you have some knowledge about the wine config file. Just check your config file to find out the drive letter for your home directory (/home/user). I have it something like 'M' drive. So you can install the programs in any path in M:** and then you'll have it installed in the appropriate path in you home directory. That way it is easily tracable.
    : : : : Vinay V
    : : : thnx for the reply...
    : : : but its true there is a messenger for amsn and now i know how to use it its like the webmessenger on the website e-messenger.net ... now i need help in executing file .. how do we run a program in linux...i have installed a package of realplayer and now i dont know how should i execute that program.. please reply urgently ...:
    : : : I went through the AMSN website (amsn.sourceforge.net). Just read the Faq's there & your problem will be solved. AMSN first requires TCL/TK to be installed on your machine. Check whether you have installed that. Just go to command prompt & type "wish" command. If you get a command not found, then you first install TCL/TK from tcl.sourceforge.net
    : : And tell me how did you install EMSN? downloaded the rpm, or the tarball, or did you build from the source? The homepage of EMSN says it distributes a tarball. This is the easiest way. Just download the tarball (if you haven't before), then extract it to any directory. (I hope you know how to extract it). It will create a directory by name "msn" in the directory where you extracted the tarball. Just "cd" to msn/ directory (cd ./msn/). Then execute it with one of the following 2 commands:
    : : $> ./amsn
    : : $> wish amsn
    : : If you have any further doubts, check the FAQ in AMSN homepage before replying to this again.
    : : Feel free to ask me anything you didn't understand here. Hope I've been of some help to you...
    : hey im really a begginer to this linux and i have redhat installed on my pc with gui mode and i dont know very much about terminal commands i installed it through a package... which was downloaded from the amsn website... now im having problem with realplayer... i have downloaded its package and also installed it... and its not opening...i have to play mp3 files but the defalut playter isnot playing the mp3 file becouse its giving some patent license error ... so plz i need help in this matter...
    : thnx
    :
    :

If you need to play just mp3 files, you should be able to play that using XMMS player. This looks & is a lot like winamp. This is the default player shipped with linux. As you said, in Redhat 8 & 9.0, by default, XMMS doesn't play mp3 files. To do that, just visit http://www.xmms.org site. You can download a mp3 plugin for xmms, which is just 200kb. This will enable xmms to decode mp3 audio. And if you want to play video on Linux, you can either use Xine, or MPlayer. I personally think MPlayer is the best.

As far as realplayer is concerned, I think you should have installed it using a RPM file. Just open up your terminal & type "realplay" & press enter. This should start Real Player. If it doesn't it is either not installed or not installed properly. In order to create a short-cut to either realplayer or emsn, just right click on your desktop. Say New->Link to application. Give suitable name for the short-cut. Just right click the short-cut go to properties. In one of the tabs, you'll find a text-box with label "command". Just type in the required command here (e.g., "realplay" for realplayer or "emsn" for EMSN, etc). Then you can launch the reqd application by just clicking the ahort-cut on the desktop.

: : : : : Hey... You installed MSN messenger on Linux?? Do you get a linux version of MSN messenger?? I thought Microsoft opposed Linux & did not develop any version of its products for Linux platform....
    : : : : :
    : : : : : Anyway, if you are talking about installing a windows version of MSN messenger through wine, this is quite possible.. I suggest whenever you install a program thru wine, customize the install location by specifying the install directory. That way you'll always know where it is installed. I hope you have some knowledge about the wine config file. Just check your config file to find out the drive letter for your home directory (/home/user). I have it something like 'M' drive. So you can install the programs in any path in M:** and then you'll have it installed in the appropriate path in you home directory. That way it is easily tracable.
    : : : : : Vinay V
    : : : : thnx for the reply...
    : : : : but its true there is a messenger for amsn and now i know how to use it its like the webmessenger on the website e-messenger.net ... now i need help in executing file .. how do we run a program in linux...i have installed a package of realplayer and now i dont know how should i execute that program.. please reply urgently ...:
    : : : : I went through the AMSN website (amsn.sourceforge.net). Just read the Faq's there & your problem will be solved. AMSN first requires TCL/TK to be installed on your machine. Check whether you have installed that. Just go to command prompt & type "wish" command. If you get a command not found, then you first install TCL/TK from tcl.sourceforge.net
    : : : And tell me how did you install EMSN? downloaded the rpm, or the tarball, or did you build from the source? The homepage of EMSN says it distributes a tarball. This is the easiest way. Just download the tarball (if you haven't before), then extract it to any directory. (I hope you know how to extract it). It will create a directory by name "msn" in the directory where you extracted the tarball. Just "cd" to msn/ directory (cd ./msn/). Then execute it with one of the following 2 commands:
    : : : $> ./amsn
    : : : $> wish amsn
    : : : If you have any further doubts, check the FAQ in AMSN homepage before replying to this again.
    : : : Feel free to ask me anything you didn't understand here. Hope I've been of some help to you...
    : : hey im really a begginer to this linux and i have redhat installed on my pc with gui mode and i dont know very much about terminal commands i installed it through a package... which was downloaded from the amsn website... now im having problem with realplayer... i have downloaded its package and also installed it... and its not opening...i have to play mp3 files but the defalut playter isnot playing the mp3 file becouse its giving some patent license error ... so plz i need help in this matter...
    : : thnx
    :
    :
    : If you need to play just mp3 files, you should be able to play that using XMMS player. This looks & is a lot like winamp. This is the default player shipped with linux. As you said, in Redhat 8 & 9.0, by default, XMMS doesn't play mp3 files. To do that, just visit http://www.xmms.org site. You can download a mp3 plugin for xmms, which is just 200kb. This will enable xmms to decode mp3 audio. And if you want to play video on Linux, you can either use Xine, or MPlayer. I personally think MPlayer is the best.
    :
    : As far as realplayer is concerned, I think you should have installed it using a RPM file. Just open up your terminal & type "realplay" & press enter. This should start Real Player. If it doesn't it is either not installed or not installed properly. In order to create a short-cut to either realplayer or emsn, just right click on your desktop. Say New->Link to application. Give suitable name for the short-cut. Just right click the short-cut go to properties. In one of the tabs, you'll find a text-box with label "command". Just type in the required command here (e.g., "realplay" for realplayer or "emsn" for EMSN, etc). Then you can launch the reqd application by just clicking the ahort-cut on the desktop.
    :
    :
    :
    : hey thnx buddy.. now i have a very big problem on my head... im replying u from my windows... yesterday when i was using linux suddenly the powers went off and the system crashed and linux was shutdown improperly.. and when it cam back to normal its giving a message to cheack the fiel system and its tuck there i dont know where should what shud i do and i dont even know whts the command for chekcing that.. if there is no other case please let me know...
    Regards...

:
    :

• thryllkillthryllkill Posts: 11Member

: : hey thnx buddy.. now i have a very big problem on my head... im replying u from my windows... yesterday when i was using linux suddenly the powers went off and the system crashed and linux was shutdown improperly.. and when it cam back to normal its giving a message to cheack the fiel system and its tuck there i dont know where should what shud i do and i dont even know whts the command for chekcing that.. if there is no other case please let me know...
    : Regards...
    :

I haven't used red hat in years, so I do not know what their default file system is. However, if you have to check the disk the command is fsck. Here is a web page that published the man page for the fsck command:

http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/fsck.8.html