Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

TTN_NEEDTEXT: Is it possible to create multiline tooltip?

pflueggepfluegge Member Posts: 9
Hi,
i've got a CDialog derived class and i want to show a multiline tooltip for a button.
There is a OnToolTipNeedText function OnToolTipNeedText( UINT id, NMHDR * pNMHDR, LRESULT * pResult ) to catch the TTN_NEEDTEXT message, where i feed
TOOLTIPTEXT *pTTT = (TOOLTIPTEXT *)pNMHDR;
pTTT->lpszText = MAKEINTRESOURCE(nID);
just like a sample in msdn help.
It seems that it's impossible to show a multiline tooltip this way . I use
in the resource string to create line breaks.
Thanks, Petra

Comments

• FDracheFDrache Member Posts: 64
    [blue]Try
    . Hope this helps.
    You are more advanced than me. I would be happy to get a tooltip in MFC at all.[/blue]
    : Hi,
    : i've got a CDialog derived class and i want to show a multiline tooltip for a button.
    : There is a OnToolTipNeedText function OnToolTipNeedText( UINT id, NMHDR * pNMHDR, LRESULT * pResult ) to catch the TTN_NEEDTEXT message, where i feed
    : TOOLTIPTEXT *pTTT = (TOOLTIPTEXT *)pNMHDR;
    : pTTT->lpszText = MAKEINTRESOURCE(nID);
    : just like a sample in msdn help.
    : It seems that it's impossible to show a multiline tooltip this way . I use
    : Thanks, Petra
    :

• stoberstober Member Posts: 9,765 ✭✭✭
    : [blue]Try
    . Hope this helps.
    : You are more advanced than me. I would be happy to get a tooltip in MFC at all.[/blue]
    : : Hi,

look around on www.codeproject.com because they have several MFC classes that do tooltips, multiline tootips, and round tooltips.
  • pflueggepfluegge Member Posts: 9
    Thank you.

: : [blue]Try
    . Hope this helps.
    : : You are more advanced than me. I would be happy to get a tooltip in MFC at all.[/blue]
    : : : Hi,
    :
    : look around on www.codeproject.com because they have several MFC classes that do tooltips, multiline tootips, and round tooltips.
    :

Hi,
    (my answer is late, somehow the notification didn't work.)
    no, that doesn't work, the
    and
    appears as little rectangles
    in the tooltip.
    : [blue]Try
    . Hope this helps.
    : You are more advanced than me. I would be happy to get a tooltip in MFC at all.[/blue]
    Just look in the msdn documentation of CWnd EnableTooltips and the sample there.
    Thank you for your answer,
    Petra

: : i've got a CDialog derived class and i want to show a multiline tooltip for a button.
    : : There is a OnToolTipNeedText function OnToolTipNeedText( UINT id, NMHDR * pNMHDR, LRESULT * pResult ) to catch the TTN_NEEDTEXT message, where i feed
    : : TOOLTIPTEXT *pTTT = (TOOLTIPTEXT *)pNMHDR;
    : : pTTT->lpszText = MAKEINTRESOURCE(nID);
    : : just like a sample in msdn help.
    : : It seems that it's impossible to show a multiline tooltip this way . I use
    : : Thanks, Petra
    : :
    :
    :
    :
    :

• Andreas3165Andreas3165 Member Posts: 1
    : Hi,
    : i've got a CDialog derived class and i want to show a multiline tooltip for a button.
    : There is a OnToolTipNeedText function OnToolTipNeedText( UINT id, NMHDR * pNMHDR, LRESULT * pResult ) to catch the TTN_NEEDTEXT message, where i feed
    : TOOLTIPTEXT *pTTT = (TOOLTIPTEXT *)pNMHDR;
    : pTTT->lpszText = MAKEINTRESOURCE(nID);
    : just like a sample in msdn help.
    : It seems that it's impossible to show a multiline tooltip this way . I use
    : Thanks, Petra
    :
    After I called CToolTipCtrl::SetMaxTipWidth(500) the control has no problems to display multiple lines. ( Call UpdateTipText("Line1
    Line2
    Line3") for a test.
    : : i've got a CDialog derived class and i want to show a multiline tooltip for a button.
    : : There is a OnToolTipNeedText function OnToolTipNeedText( UINT id, NMHDR * pNMHDR, LRESULT * pResult ) to catch the TTN_NEEDTEXT message, where i feed
    : : TOOLTIPTEXT *pTTT = (TOOLTIPTEXT *)pNMHDR;
    : : pTTT->lpszText = MAKEINTRESOURCE(nID);
    : : just like a sample in msdn help.
    : : It seems that it's impossible to show a multiline tooltip this way . I use
    : : Thanks, Petra
    : :
    : After I called CToolTipCtrl::SetMaxTipWidth(500) the control has no problems to display multiple lines. ( Call UpdateTipText("Line1
    Line2
    Line3") for a test.

Hi Andreas,
    i think you are right, i'll try it using a CToolTipCtrl.
    Thanks,
    Petra
  • sharanaiypssharanaiyps Member Posts: 1
    Hey there!This is a very old post, but never the less, I felt like sharing the solution that I found.I ran into the same problem the other day.

1. Get the control's tooltip object by calling GetToolTips() or something.
    2. Set the Max-tooltip width to 0 by calling SetMaxTipWidth(0) [CToolTipCtrl::SetMaxTipWidth(0)]
    3.Then use "
    " wherever you need a new line.

I have tried it and it works for me! The control that I am using is a CListCtrl
    Hope this post will help someone ;-)

OK, here's an update(22/04/2010):
    For a dialog control, Set the SetMaxTipWidth as follows in the TTN_NEEDTEXT notification function before setting the tooltip text:

AFX_MODULE_THREAD_STATE* pModuleThreadState =AfxGetModuleThreadState();
    if(pModuleThreadState)
    {
    CToolTipCtrl* pToolTip = pModuleThreadState->m_pToolTip;
    if(pToolTip)
    pToolTip->SetMaxTipWidth(0);
    }
    That should do the trick!
    Note:
    1.Doing the above procedure in the init function has no affect.
    2. Works if this is done just once, there is no need to set it each time when a TTN_NEEDTEXT message is handled.