Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Newbie Algorithm Help

Hybrid HunterHybrid Hunter Posts: 3Member
I've just started learning about programming and need help creating a solution algorithm in psuedocode to the following problem.

"You are required to develop a solution to a timekeeping problem. Two race times are to be entered in the form of hours, minutes, seconds, and hundredths of a second, and if the times entered are valid (valid times are between 8am and 11pm, minutes and seconds are between 0 and 59, hundredths are between 0 and 99, and finally the first time must be before the second time) the elapse time between the two is to be calculated and reported. It must be possible to calculate many elapse times and when there are no more, the total of valid elapse times and the number of errors are to be reported."

I have to use modules, but haven't yet, so far all i've got is this -

Calculate_elapse_time
REPEAT
Prompt for race_time1, race_time2
Get race_time1, race_time2
IF race_time1 < race_time2 THEN
elapse_time = race_time2 - race_time1
Display elapse_time
Increment total_elapse_times
ELSE
Increment error_elapse_times
ENDIF
Display total_elapse_times, error_elapse_times
UNTIL race_time = 0

Its not the final thing yet obviously, but it was a quick run through, could someone help me flesh it out more, give me pointers and stuff on how to go about psudocoding this problem.

Comments

• DrMartenDrMarten Posts: 748Member
    : I've just started learning about programming and need help creating a solution algorithm in psuedocode to the following problem.
    :
    : "You are required to develop a solution to a timekeeping problem. Two race times are to be entered in the form of hours, minutes, seconds, and hundredths of a second, and if the times entered are valid (valid times are between 8am and 11pm, minutes and seconds are between 0 and 59, hundredths are between 0 and 99, and finally the first time must be before the second time) the elapse time between the two is to be calculated and reported. It must be possible to calculate many elapse times and when there are no more, the total of valid elapse times and the number of errors are to be reported."
    :
    : I have to use modules, but haven't yet, so far all i've got is this -
    :
    : Calculate_elapse_time
    : REPEAT
    : Prompt for race_time1, race_time2
    : Get race_time1, race_time2
    : IF race_time1 < race_time2 THEN
    : elapse_time = race_time2 - race_time1
    : Display elapse_time
    : Increment total_elapse_times
    : ELSE
    : Increment error_elapse_times
    : ENDIF
    : Display total_elapse_times, error_elapse_times
    : UNTIL race_time = 0
    :
    : Its not the final thing yet obviously, but it was a quick run through, could someone help me flesh it out more, give me pointers and stuff on how to go about psudocoding this problem.
    :
    :

Try this, you do not say if lapsed times are consective or not like 08:23:40 then 08:35:34 then 09:49:54 and so on or not? :->

"enter times"
    Do you want to enter more times Y/N?
    If "NO" END the program
    ENTER TIME1
    ENTER TIME2

"check time routines"

IF TIME1>TIME2 DO "enter times"

If Time 1 Hour <8 or >23 then "enter times"
    If Time 2 Hour <8 or >23 then "enter times"

If Time 1 Mins <0 or >59 then "enter times"
    If Time 2 Mins <0 or >59 then "enter times"

If Time 1 Secs <0 or >59 then "enter times"
    If Time 2 Secs <0 or >59 then "enter times"

If Time 1 Hundreths <0 or >99 then "enter times"
    If Time 2 Hundreths <0 or >99 then "enter times"

You would need to calculate totals of hundreths of a second to subtract the results and convert this back into Hrs:Mins:Secs:Hundreths which you could do in another routine.

You could add up the "errors" in the above "check time routines" mentioned above.

As you are doing many elapsed times you can do all of the above in a loop putting the 1st time and 2nd time in a 2 dimensional array.
    If the elapse times are consective then on putting in further values only one time would need to be entered.

E.G.

TimeA(1),TimeB(1)
    TimeA(2)=TimeB(1),TimeB(2)=the next inputted time and so on like:->

A to B , B to C , C to D , D to E and so on so
    you might need to keep swapping variable values?

Use two more variables throughout if you need to to calculate the total elapsed time(s).

Hope this helps. :-)