Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Can I create!

NewtoPNewtoP Member Posts: 7
Hi all; I'm new to Visual basic! yes I am; My question is can i create a very sophisticated Interactive 2D;3D game for CD-Rom and the Web with Voices and sounds; and options for single or multi-player; I have teach yourself C in 21days from SAMS; Borland C++ Application and FrameWork 2.0; and visual basic 6.0 working model that dosent allow me to create any Executable files or Web pages and Active X Controls; also it dosen't allow me to use the help Menu on it

Question " can it be done " and how can i get around the VB6 problem?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• GideonOmegaGideonOmega Member Posts: 617
    : Hi all; I'm new to Visual basic! yes I am; My question is can i create a very sophisticated Interactive 2D;3D game for CD-Rom and the Web with Voices and sounds; and options for single or multi-player; I have teach yourself C in 21days from SAMS; Borland C++ Application and FrameWork 2.0; and visual basic 6.0 working model that dosent allow me to create any Executable files or Web pages and Active X Controls; also it dosen't allow me to use the help Menu on it
    :
    : Question " can it be done " and how can i get around the VB6 problem?
    :
    : Thanks in advance...
    :

I sent you a E-mail regarding your vb issue, you can make a fairly complicated game in vb, I've seen Unreal type games made in vb(not as good as that), as far a multiplayer, I'm sure you probably can, maybe check out the api's for I think it's called WINET for data transfer, as you are going to be doing a game you should only need to use UDP for your packet transfers.
    [blue]
    C:Dos
    C:Dos Run
    Run Dos Run
    [/blue]

• NewtoPNewtoP Member Posts: 7
    [b][red]This message was edited by NewtoP at 2004-4-17 7:35:53[/red][/b][hr]
    hi GideonOmega; Thanks for the help and your time much appreciated! I would like to know a few more things though.-->

1)what is API's; what's is UDP packet tranfer????????????

Q)would you be intrested in helping me????

PS: I think this Game will be a big success
  • GideonOmegaGideonOmega Member Posts: 617
    [b][red]This message was edited by Moderator at 2004-4-17 10:9:49[/red][/b][hr]
    : [b][red]This message was edited by NewtoP at 2004-4-17 7:35:53[/red][/b][hr]
    : hi GideonOmega; Thanks for the help and your time much appreciated! I would like to know a few more things though.-->
    :
    : 1)what is API's; what's is UDP packet tranfer????????????
    :
    : Q)would you be intrested in helping me????
    :
    :
    : PS: I think this Game will be a big success
    :

API's are -- Aplication Programming Interface(or something like that at least) and are very powerful - they basicly allow you to interact with other programs and give you access to other funtionality. for instance windows has a ton of api's u can use - like for a screen saver to make the mouse disapear and what not. you start with a declare statement in a code model, then you have access to the function, this can be used for all sorts of things from rendering images to writing reg key values into windows.
    check you add-ins in vb and see if you have the API viewer that should give you a better way to look at it.

UPD, I can't remember exactly what it stands for - but TCP basicly sends packets of data(chunks) and will always make sure that all packets arive , making it slower but more reliable, when you send data using the UDP protocal - it just keeps firing data to the other side and never checks to see if it gets there(faster, but less reliable), I was thinking if you use multiplayer - you may want to use UDP for faster speed - if you have a lot of data to send.

Would I like to help, I would love to - I've always wanted to make a decent game- but unfortunetly right now I don't have the know how or the time - as I'm deperatly trying to find a job at the moment - so I am basicly spending alot of my free time creating small programs and web pages to put up on my site and for my portfolio. So sorry I just don't think that I'm going to have the time.

On a final note: check out planet source code under the vb section, check the newest code and it should be in the first 5 - 10 pages at the moment-- someone has created a 2d Graphics engine for vb that you might want to check out. http://www.planet-source-code.com

This one should get you there quicker:
    http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?lngWId=1&txtCodeId=53186

Good Luck.
    [blue]
    C:Dos
    C:Dos Run
    Run Dos Run
    [/blue]