Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

very basic open source 3d racing game engine..

dumboodumboo Posts: 2Member
hi there
I m looking for some very basic open source 3d racing game engine, which used to run over old 386/486 machines....also if possible please direct me to some good online resources...

I did loads of google search..but the resources i was able to find out were not ment for old slow machines..

hope to get some good response :-)
regards

Comments

• CroWCroW Posts: 348Member
    Why dont you write your own engine? :)

What platform do you targeting?Pure dos with dpmi-interface?What screenmodes should it run in?Im almost sure none of todays APIs (opengl,direct3d,etc) dont run on 386/486 machines so you are limited to software-rendering which extremly slow-downs things,exspecially in higher resolutions...
  • dumboodumboo Posts: 2Member
    : Why dont you write your own engine? :)
    :
    : What platform do you targeting?Pure dos with dpmi-interface?What screenmodes should it run in?Im almost sure none of todays APIs (opengl,direct3d,etc) dont run on 386/486 machines so you are limited to software-rendering which extremly slow-downs things,exspecially in higher resolutions...
    :

thats what i m planning to do...but i was looking for some suggestions and if possible some good source code, so that i can learn, its purely ment for educaional purpose
    can u point me to some good online resources ??
    i have tried google, but the information it provides is relevant to either DirectX or OpenGL...or if its software, it requires a powerful machines :-(

regards
  • SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    Don't bother with DOS. DOS apps will NOT run in XP if they use any kind of resolution. It's better (and easier) to pick up Win32 and GL or DX. I'd personally recomend GL for speed, beauty, and ease of use. However, if you want to jump into a slower, much harder to use API, try DX. The benefit of DX of GL is that DX works on pretty much any video card, where GL requires a GL-compliant card (ie: no Radeons below the 9800).

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• CroWCroW Posts: 348Member
    Hmm,no older radeons?Im using a radeon9600 and everything works fine.And YES,opengl is definitly the better choice,in my oppinion its much easier to use than <d3d7 in every-case,and newer d3d-versions aswell.

And dont forget,d3d is micro$oft ;)