Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Need some advice with a recursive problem

Howler72Howler72 Posts: 1Member
I having a hard time trying to create an recursive funtion that will determine the fp value of 1/1 + 1/2 - 1/3 + 1/4 - 1/5....for any number of n (1/n). Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

O

Comments

• gaetanogaetano Posts: 48Member
    [grey]I having a hard time trying to create an recursive funtion that will determine the fp value of 1/1 + 1/2 - 1/3 + 1/4 - 1/5....for any number of n (1/n). Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.
    [/grey]

[green]
    Hi!
    The following code should be all you need. Do me a favour and inform the community next time about your language of choice. If you need the program in Delphi or Perl or any other language, just mail me and I'll see what I can do.

HTH
    [/green]

[code][size=2]
    #include
    using namespace std;

double calc1_x (int n);

int
    main (void)
    {
    int n;

cout << "n: ";
    cin >> n;

cout << "Result = " << calc1_x (n) << endl;

return 0;
    }

double
    calc1_x (int n)
    {
    if (n == 1)
    return 1;

return 1.0/n + calc1_x (n - 1);
    }
    [/size][/code]
  • vijaykumarbalivijaykumarbali Posts: 2Member
    friend iam writing the function ; read it once

int sum(int beg,float n)
    {
    if(n==0)
    return -1;
    if(beg>n)
    return 0;
    else
    return (1/float(beg)+pow(-1,beg+1)*sum(beg++,n));
    }
    this is c styled function which takes 2 parameters
    beg should be initialzed to 1 and n>= beg
    for example u want to calculate ur problem for n=10
    call it as sum(1,10)
    it will return u the required answer if any bug do
    ask me.
    thanx

: I having a hard time trying to create an recursive funtion that will determine the fp value of 1/1 + 1/2 - 1/3 + 1/4 - 1/5....for any number of n (1/n). Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.
    :
    : Thanks,
    :
    : O
    :

• gaetanogaetano Posts: 48Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by gaetano at 2004-5-11 2:46:35[/red][/b][hr]
    [green]
    Hi!
    After a few corrections this algorithm works at least, but some questions just won't be answered in my considerations. So please help me:
    - What advantages offers this algorithm which my don't?
    - Why do you take an float as the second parameter? It's obviously unnecessary as you're always checking against an integer ...

And some other Comments I'd like to do:
    - What about calculating the n-th power of 1? It's always 1! At last the whole term with the power is useless, because the 1 should be positive and _not_ negative.
    - All these unnecessary calculations have no effect and prolong the calculation time!
    [/green]

[red]Your [b]corrected[/b] code:[/red]
    [code][size=2]
    double
    sum(int beg,float n)
    {
    if(n==0)
    return -1;
    if(beg>n)
    return 0;
    else
    return (1/(double) beg + pow (1, beg+1) * sum (++beg, n));