Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

DirectX rookie

TommzTommz Posts: 8Member
Hello,
I would really like to make games, I have a lot of practice in C, C++ (for MS-DOS and Windows) programming and now I want to move on DirectX, but I do not know where to begin! Could anyone help me and give me some references? Thanks a lot... :)

Comments

• Yepper65Yepper65 Posts: 29Member
    : Hello,
    : I would really like to make games, I have a lot of practice in C, C++ (for MS-DOS and Windows) programming and now I want to move on DirectX, but I do not know where to begin! Could anyone help me and give me some references? Thanks a lot... :)
    :
    :
    Hi,

I would advice you to buy one book called: Tricks of the 3D game programming Guru, Publisher: SAMS, ISBN: 06-672-31835-0 , written by Andre LaMothe.
    This book takes you step by step in writing a game engine and is a great insight in how games work.

With friendly greatings,

Yepper65
  • GeorgeZGeorgeZ Posts: 4Member
    If you know a little about C/C++ theres a tutorial that will show you how to compile a game using the free Bloodshed's DEV C++ compiler and directX8.1 here: www.imagethis.org the source code isn't free but the instructions on how to compile using directx8.1 and links for other free stuff you might need there is also a free demo of the game.

• LemurLemur Posts: 4Member
    : I would really like to make games, I have a lot of practice in C, C++ (for MS-DOS and Windows) programming and now I want to move on DirectX, but I do not know where to begin! Could anyone help me and give me some references? Thanks a lot... :)
    :
    :

"The Zen Of Direct3D game programing" by Peter Walsh is a good start. You can alwasy lean towards Dark Basic that will alow you to make simple games. Have fun
  • GodLikeGodLike Posts: 4Member
    : : Hello,
    : : I would really like to make games, I have a lot of practice in C, C++ (for MS-DOS and Windows) programming and now I want to move on DirectX, but I do not know where to begin! Could anyone help me and give me some references? Thanks a lot... :)
    : :
    : :
    : Hi,
    :
    : I would advice you to buy one book called: Tricks of the 3D game programming Guru, Publisher: SAMS, ISBN: 06-672-31835-0 , written by Andre LaMothe.
    : This book takes you step by step in writing a game engine and is a great insight in how games work.
    :
    : With friendly greatings,
    :
    :
    :
    : Yepper65

I've never used the 3d Game Programming book, but I would recommend Secrets of the Windows Game Programming Gurus as well. It's also by Andre LaMothe, so this author does come highly recommended. I'm not familiar with the format of '3d', but in the 'Windows', Andre starts
    with showing you how to use GDI to make games and to show you all the basics. Next covered is DirectDraw, Direct3d's 2d counterpart, then goes on to cover DirectInput, DirectSound, DirectMusic, and finally a little bit of Direct3d. I'm not sure if all of these topics are covered in 3d Game Programming or not. I felt that the slow pace of learning with the high return given by the example programs made for the best experience as you don't get bored with it or get stumped by having to pick things up too quickly.
  • assemblercloneassemblerclone Posts: 1Member
    :
    :
    nah!

1) download and install the directx SDK and VS6.0 or dev c++.
    2) follow the SDK tutorials .
    3) try to follow then SDK the samples.
    4) done.