Using parallel port as synchronous IO device

Hi everybody

I'm trying to write an app that will send data to the parallel port, but I want to send the data on regular intervals. Because I'm working with Win XP ,the data is sent to the port with a dll ( that starts a device driver) found at http://www.logix4u.net. My problem now is that the Timer provided by windows is too slow and inaccurate to allow for synchronous communication. Is there another way to implement a timer? Or another way to solve this problem?

Comments

• : Hi everybody
    :
    : I'm trying to write an app that will send data to the parallel port, but I want to send the data on regular intervals. Because I'm working with Win XP ,the data is sent to the port with a dll ( that starts a device driver) found at http://www.logix4u.net. My problem now is that the Timer provided by windows is too slow and inaccurate to allow for synchronous communication. Is there another way to implement a timer? Or another way to solve this problem?
    :

Are you using the performance timer? Or just standard timer?
  • [green]Take a look at "Multimedia Timers" in MSDN:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/multimed/htm/_win32_about_multimedia_timers.asp
    [/green]
    [hr];-) [b][size=4][red]~Bikram[/red][/size][/b]

• Thanks Biki. Although those timers provide greater accuracy they are still relatively slow. The minimum value that I can set the timer to, is 1ms so I can effectively send 1000 B/s. Correct? I'll consider this option.I've also considered building a piece of hardware that accepts the data asynchronously and then sending the data synchronously from there. But the more I think about it the more it seems like a bad idea. I think I'll sleep on it. Thanks for the idea.
  • If your code is in a loop, you can use the performance timers as mentioned above. groups.google.com for "QueryPerformanceFrequency" and "QueryPerformanceCounter".

This is processor dependant, but on my P4 1.8GHz I managed to get accuracy as low as 6 microseconds.
  • : If your code is in a loop, you can use the performance timers as mentioned above. groups.google.com for "QueryPerformanceFrequency" and "QueryPerformanceCounter".
    :
    : This is processor dependant, but on my P4 1.8GHz I managed to get accuracy as low as 6 microseconds.
    :

Thanks for the suggestion PingPong. I tried this method, here is the code :
    [code]
    __int64 freq;
    if(QueryPerformanceFrequency((LARGE_INTEGER *)&freq))
    {
    __int64 con= 9600;
    __int64 fDif= freq/con;
    __int64 start=0,stop=0,diff=0,count=0;
    while(Form1->Timer1->Enabled==true)
    {
    //get the start freq
    QueryPerformanceCounter((LARGE_INTEGER *)&start);
    QueryPerformanceCounter((LARGE_INTEGER *)&stop);
    diff=stop-start;
    while(diff<=fDif)
    {
    QueryPerformanceCounter((LARGE_INTEGER *)&stop);
    diff=stop-start;
    }
    count++;
    }
    ShowMessage("The value of count is "+(AnsiString)count);
    }
    [/code]

By using the "count" shown I can test the performance of the timer, I let the function run for 20 seconds to see how many counts I receive. I should receive 192000 counts (9600 baud * 20 sec), but I only get 179690. This performance is not nearly good enough for synchronous comms. I am now communication via the serial port as discussed before, so I have basically solved my problem. But I am still interested in how this could work. Have I done something wrong in the code?