Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Please help me!!...

I need help on programming....I am aiming to do something like neopets.com and i would like to know how they do it! What they do is if you buy something from a shop it removes from that shop and into your inventory....Powerpets also uses something like this. Can i do this with ASP? Please Help! I need you advise!

Comments

• GideonOmegaGideonOmega Member Posts: 617
    : I need help on programming....I am aiming to do something like neopets.com and i would like to know how they do it! What they do is if you buy something from a shop it removes from that shop and into your inventory....Powerpets also uses something like this. Can i do this with ASP? Please Help! I need you advise!
    :

are you trying to make this permanent or temp, ie. permanent would store the values of what the have selected from the shop in a database with there username and what not, temp you can store the values in cookies as in:

dim strCookie
    strCookie = "ItemOne=this Is the item"
    document.cookie = strCookie

this would create a session cookie that could be access through asp as in:
    request.cookies("ItemOne") and the value would be "this Is the item"
    session cookies are only good for as long as the person has there browser open.

if you plan on storing the data permanently it is still a good idea to first store the values in cookies and then in your asp code access the cookies collection and write the values into the db as in

dim Cookie
    for each Cookie in request.cookies
    next

will let you loop through all the cookies, select the relevant ones and add them to your db.

hope this helps.
    [blue]
    C:Dos
    C:Dos Run
    Run Dos Run
    [/blue]

• _becca__becca_ Member Posts: 7
    : : I need help on programming....I am aiming to do something like neopets.com and i would like to know how they do it! What they do is if you buy something from a shop it removes from that shop and into your inventory....Powerpets also uses something like this. Can i do this with ASP? Please Help! I need you advise!
    : :
    :
    :
    : are you trying to make this permanent or temp, ie. permanent would store the values of what the have selected from the shop in a database with there username and what not, temp you can store the values in cookies as in:
    :
    :
    : dim strCookie
    : strCookie = "ItemOne=this Is the item"
    : document.cookie = strCookie
    :
    :
    : this would create a session cookie that could be access through asp as in:
    : request.cookies("ItemOne") and the value would be "this Is the item"
    : session cookies are only good for as long as the person has there browser open.
    :
    : if you plan on storing the data permanently it is still a good idea to first store the values in cookies and then in your asp code access the cookies collection and write the values into the db as in
    :
    : dim Cookie
    : for each Cookie in request.cookies
    : ....
    : ....
    : next
    :
    : will let you loop through all the cookies, select the relevant ones and add them to your db.
    :
    :
    : hope this helps.
    : [blue]
    : C:Dos
    : C:Dos Run
    : Run Dos Run
    : [/blue]
    :
    :
    Thanx:)