screw up! - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

screw up!

UrielOmegaUrielOmega Posts: 24Member
i was trying to reinstall Fedora, because i had screwed up on an installation and then had to partition space on the hard drive in windows, so i decide to just delete the fedora partition and extend to make more space for fedora when i install it, but when i restart the system i forgot to partition free space for Fedora and now i'm not able to go back to windows and now i get a screen that prompt me in "grub" what the hell do i do?

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    : i was trying to reinstall Fedora, because i had screwed up on an installation and then had to partition space on the hard drive in windows, so i decide to just delete the fedora partition and extend to make more space for fedora when i install it, but when i restart the system i forgot to partition free space for Fedora and now i'm not able to go back to windows and now i get a screen that prompt me in "grub" what the hell do i do?
    :
    Hmmm....so what partitions do you have now? GRUB is a boot loader, and if you get things set up right it will offer you a choice of booting into Windows or Linux. When you are installing Fedora it should detect that you have a Windows parition (filesytem is FAT32 or NTFS) and will make an entry to boot to this partition in the boot loader. Did you not see this during installation?

When I've done my Windows/Linux setups I have:-

1) Set up partitions like this, e.g. using FDISK:-
    Boot Loader Partition @ 100 MB (/boot)
    Windows Partition
    Linux Partition with / mounted there
    EXTENDED SECTION
    Linux Swap Parition with /tmp mounted there
    Linux Data Drive with /home mounted there

You don't have to have the data one as well, but I like to keep Linux system files and my data reasonably well seperated.

2) Install Windows into the Windows partition.

3) Install Linux, setting up the partitions as shown. You will have to go into the custom partitioning setup to do this right.

On my workstation it's a little more complicated, because I have an NTFS partition for Windows itself and programs, and also a FAT32 partition for my data, as Linux can work with FAT32 partitions but NTFS ones and I wanted to be able to share data between Windows and Linux. E.G. my MP3 collection. :-)

Hope this helps,

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• UrielOmegaUrielOmega Posts: 24Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by UrielOmega at 2004-4-9 6:29:58[/red][/b][hr]
    John, but i'm not trying to get rid of Windows i'm just trying to get back into windows, so i can partition space to install fedora and your info helps alittle.

at the grub prompt do i use fdisk/mbr to get back into windows.

: John, but i'm not trying to get rid of Windows i'm just trying to get back into windows, so i can partition space to install fedora and your info helps alittle.
    :
    : at the grub prompt do i use fdisk/mbr to get back into windows.
    :
    Does grub not present you with a choice of operating systems? What messgaes do you get when it loads? The documentation for grub can be found here:-
    http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

You can't run fdisk from GRUB as far as I'm aware. You need a (Windows) system/boot disk that you can boot from, the you'd run FDISK from that disk. You can make one of these disks from another Windows machine.

Jonathan

###

it's gives me the terminal grub prompt not the graphical interface. and john i'll give that a try and also will i still have the same configurations for windows and data, if i do fdisk.
    : it's gives me the terminal grub prompt not the graphical interface. and john i'll give that a try and also will i still have the same configurations for windows and data, if i do fdisk.
    :
    As I (think) I said before, partitioning operations are usually data destructive. There are tools out there like Partition Magic that can manage partitions without data loss, though to trust one enough not to have done a backup first is still asking for trouble in my view. If you didn't re-arrange your partitions in a way that caused damage or didn't format them at some point, you may just be able to mark the Windows parition as active and things will work again as you expect (the active partition is the one you boot from, thus why you'd want the Windows one to be active).

Jonathan

###

: : it's gives me the terminal grub prompt not the graphical interface. and john i'll give that a try and also will i still have the same configurations for windows and data, if i do fdisk.
    : :
    : As I (think) I said before, partitioning operations are usually data destructive. There are tools out there like Partition Magic that can manage partitions without data loss, though to trust one enough not to have done a backup first is still asking for trouble in my view. If you didn't re-arrange your partitions in a way that caused damage or didn't format them at some point, you may just be able to mark the Windows parition as active and things will work again as you expect (the active partition is the one you boot from, thus why you'd want the Windows one to be active).
    :
    : Jonathan
    :
    : ###
    : for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    : (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    : /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");
    :
    : Uriel

there is no Linux in my system, however since there is no linux in my system, my computer became dependent on the graphical grub boot loader were i had the option of Fedora or Dos. Now that linux is not in the system, and whenever i try to start it up by turning the power on it'll stop at the command line grub and from there it stops. now what do i have to input to get to windows. i made a MS-Dos startup disk what can do from there to get to windows also.

: : : it's gives me the terminal grub prompt not the graphical interface. and john i'll give that a try and also will i still have the same configurations for windows and data, if i do fdisk.
    : : :
    : : As I (think) I said before, partitioning operations are usually data destructive. There are tools out there like Partition Magic that can manage partitions without data loss, though to trust one enough not to have done a backup first is still asking for trouble in my view. If you didn't re-arrange your partitions in a way that caused damage or didn't format them at some point, you may just be able to mark the Windows parition as active and things will work again as you expect (the active partition is the one you boot from, thus why you'd want the Windows one to be active).
    : : Jonathan
    : : ###
    : : for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    : : (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    : : /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");
    : : Uriel
    :
    :
    : there is no Linux in my system, however since there is no linux in my system, my computer became dependent on the graphical grub boot loader were i had the option of Fedora or Dos. Now that linux is not in the system, and whenever i try to start it up by turning the power on it'll stop at the command line grub and from there it stops. now what do i have to input to get to windows. i made a MS-Dos startup disk what can do from there to get to windows also.
    :
    Can you access the drive with your Windows installation on from the MS-DOS startup disk? E.G. type:-

C:
    dir

Do you see your Windows files? If so, try typing:-

sys C:

Try rebooting now. Any luck? If not, you may need to use fdisk (type fdisk to run this (from the prompt you get from the boot disk)) then look for the way to mark the partition for drive C: as the Active Partition. Do *not* delete any partitions or resize them, or you will lose your data and Windows installation. (In fact, if you have modified partitions already you will have already done that, in which case you need to repartition the drive how you want it using fdisk and then re-install Windows).

Jonathan

###

: : : : it's gives me the terminal grub prompt not the graphical interface. and john i'll give that a try and also will i still have the same configurations for windows and data, if i do fdisk.
    : : : :
    : : : As I (think) I said before, partitioning operations are usually data destructive. There are tools out there like Partition Magic that can manage partitions without data loss, though to trust one enough not to have done a backup first is still asking for trouble in my view. If you didn't re-arrange your partitions in a way that caused damage or didn't format them at some point, you may just be able to mark the Windows parition as active and things will work again as you expect (the active partition is the one you boot from, thus why you'd want the Windows one to be active).
    : : : Jonathan
    : : : ###
    : : : for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    : : : (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    : : : /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");
    : : : Uriel
    : : there is no Linux in my system, however since there is no linux in my system, my computer became dependent on the graphical grub boot loader were i had the option of Fedora or Dos. Now that linux is not in the system, and whenever i try to start it up by turning the power on it'll stop at the command line grub and from there it stops. now what do i have to input to get to windows. i made a MS-Dos startup disk what can do from there to get to windows also.
    : Can you access the drive with your Windows installation on from the MS-DOS startup disk? E.G. type:-
    :
    : C:
    : dir
    :
    : Do you see your Windows files? If so, try typing:-
    :
    : sys C:
    :
    : Try rebooting now. Any luck? If not, you may need to use fdisk (type fdisk to run this (from the prompt you get from the boot disk)) then look for the way to mark the partition for drive C: as the Active Partition. Do *not* delete any partitions or resize them, or you will lose your data and Windows installation. (In fact, if you have modified partitions already you will have already done that, in which case you need to repartition the drive how you want it using fdisk and then re-install Windows).
    :
    : Jonathan
    :
    : ###
    : for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    : (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    : /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");
    :
    : yeah i've tried that method already i really don't know what to do, but just install linux over the windows partition, i tried and you tried to help me the best way you can. thanx jonathan.