Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

transmission of text from pc to microcontroller

shiv_artshiv_art Member Posts: 1
hello...
this is shiv here.. i ve undertaken a project in which i need to transmit data which is in the form of text on the pc using
an UART interface..i need to transmit this data onto a microcontroller...how do i do this..
please also let me how i can transmit it to the computers port ie addrs etc in case u suggest writin a c code.

Comments

• johnsonmejohnsonme Member Posts: 57
    Hi shiv,
    Its very easy.. First initialize the serial ports of the PC... Usually this is done by the OS at the time of boot up.
    You can access the port through the C with the ID of 0x3f.
    In the controller, just fillup all the required SFRs and mind to use MAX233 for level conversion.
    Still confused?? Reply
  • r.janardhanr.janardhan Member Posts: 4
    : Hi shiv,
    : Its very easy.. First initialize the serial ports of the PC... Usually this is done by the OS at the time of boot up.
    : You can access the port through the C with the ID of 0x3f.
    : In the controller, just fillup all the required SFRs and mind to use MAX233 for level conversion.
    : Still confused?? Reply
    :

Hi johnsonme,

I am trying to send text from PC to Motorola Microcontroller(MC68HC908KX8) and vice versa using PC's Hyperterminal...So, could u plz tell me in detail what r the things to be considered...
    plz reply immediatly...
    thank q...
  • LundinLundin Member Posts: 3,711
    : : Hi shiv,
    : : Its very easy.. First initialize the serial ports of the PC... Usually this is done by the OS at the time of boot up.
    : : You can access the port through the C with the ID of 0x3f.
    : : In the controller, just fillup all the required SFRs and mind to use MAX233 for level conversion.
    : : Still confused?? Reply
    : :
    :
    :
    : Hi johnsonme,
    :
    : I am trying to send text from PC to Motorola Microcontroller(MC68HC908KX8) and vice versa using PC's Hyperterminal...So, could u plz tell me in detail what r the things to be considered...
    : plz reply immediatly...
    : thank q...
    :

Hardware:
    - RS232 tranceiver circuit, like MAX232.
    - D-sub connector on test board.
    - Null modem cable.

For the HC08 you should concider which baudrate you want to use, and choose oscillator frequency from there. There is usually a formula for how do calculate baudrate accuracy in the SCI documentation. The difference from the calculated baudrate and the wanted baudrate should be below 3% or so.

The rest is pretty easy, poll/interrupt a flag in the SCI status register, then read/write data to the SCI data register.

Oh, and don't forget to check for erratas on the Freescale site. I haven't used the SCI on HC08 myself, but that is one of the peripherals that usually has erratas and such.