Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

help urgently requested, trying to monitor a process

ultimageultimage Member Posts: 119
im writing a little program that monitors a process that is running called nwserver (exe file name is "nwserver.exe")

i need to do several things with this process.

1) start the process using either process.start, or a shell (i will need to pass parameters to it at startup)

2) i need to monitor it and check to see if it hangs (stops responding) via a timer control on a 10 second delay (recurring)

3) if it does, i need to kill the process (close the program without any other user intervention.

4) restart the process after killing it with the previous parameters

any help with this would be appreciated

p.s. on a side note i already wrote this program before in vb6, but so much is different in vb.net that i could not convert it over.

thanks in advance,

Ultimage
ultimage@insightbb.com

Comments

• btsebbtseb Member Posts: 67
    : im writing a little program that monitors a process that is running called nwserver (exe file name is "nwserver.exe")
    :
    : i need to do several things with this process.
    :
    : 1) start the process using either process.start, or a shell (i will need to pass parameters to it at startup)
    :
    : 2) i need to monitor it and check to see if it hangs (stops responding) via a timer control on a 10 second delay (recurring)
    :
    : 3) if it does, i need to kill the process (close the program without any other user intervention.
    :
    : 4) restart the process after killing it with the previous parameters
    :
    :
    : any help with this would be appreciated
    :
    : p.s. on a side note i already wrote this program before in vb6, but so much is different in vb.net that i could not convert it over.
    :
    : thanks in advance,
    :
    : Ultimage
    : ultimage@insightbb.com
    :
    [red]Hello:
    You might consider writing a Windows Service in .NET it is fairly simple and you can also create an application to start and stop it as well as set the intervals as it runs. These can be found at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnvsm01/html/vs0112dt.asp

and another one Communicate with Windows Services at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnvsm02/html/vs0201dt.asp

I read both of these and have devloped a new service.[/red]

• ultimageultimage Member Posts: 119
    : : im writing a little program that monitors a process that is running called nwserver (exe file name is "nwserver.exe")
    : :
    : : i need to do several things with this process.
    : : 1) start the process using either process.start, or a shell (i will need to pass parameters to it at startup)
    : : 2) i need to monitor it and check to see if it hangs (stops responding) via a timer control on a 10 second delay (recurring)
    : : 3) if it does, i need to kill the process (close the program without any other user intervention.
    : : 4) restart the process after killing it with the previous parameters
    : : any help with this would be appreciated
    : : p.s. on a side note i already wrote this program before in vb6, but so much is different in vb.net that i could not convert it over.
    : : thanks in advance,
    : : Ultimage
    : : ultimage@insightbb.com
    : [red]Hello:
    : You might consider writing a Windows Service in .NET it is fairly simple and you can also create an application to start and stop it as well as set the intervals as it runs. These can be found at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnvsm01/html/vs0112dt.asp
    :
    : and another one Communicate with Windows Services at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnvsm02/html/vs0201dt.asp
    :
    : I read both of these and have devloped a new service.[/red]
    :
    :
    i guess i should have said this was resolved a long time ago.
    Ultimage
    ultimage@insightbb.com