Requery/Refresh Form Control - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Requery/Refresh Form Control

corydeppencorydeppen Posts: 3Member
I have a form in an ASP page that contains a drop down list with a button that opens another page if the user wants to add another entry to the list. Once the user adds a new entry and returns to the original form, the newly added item doesn't appear in the list.

I was hoping someone knew of a way, via JavaScript or ASP, to refresh or requery the drop down list control () so the new item appears in the list.

Thanks,
Cory

Comments

• GideonOmegaGideonOmega Posts: 617Member
    : I have a form in an ASP page that contains a drop down list with a button that opens another page if the user wants to add another entry to the list. Once the user adds a new entry and returns to the original form, the newly added item doesn't appear in the list.
    :
    : I was hoping someone knew of a way, via JavaScript or ASP, to refresh or requery the drop down list control () so the new item appears in the list.
    :
    : Thanks,
    : Cory
    :
    :

I'm guessing your drop down list is loaded through ASP? if so I'm also assuming that you are loading the data from a file or database and adding there entry as well? If that is the case then you can simply reload the page with JS or VBScript as in....... onClick="functiontoupdateDB;javascript:window.location='myASPPage.asp'"

[blue]
    C:Dos
    C:Dos Run
    Run Dos Run
    [/blue]

• corydeppencorydeppen Posts: 3Member
    : : I have a form in an ASP page that contains a drop down list with a button that opens another page if the user wants to add another entry to the list. Once the user adds a new entry and returns to the original form, the newly added item doesn't appear in the list.
    : :
    : : I was hoping someone knew of a way, via JavaScript or ASP, to refresh or requery the drop down list control () so the new item appears in the list.
    : : Thanks,
    : : Cory
    :
    : I'm guessing your drop down list is loaded through ASP? if so I'm also assuming that you are loading the data from a file or database and adding there entry as well? If that is the case then you can simply reload the page with JS or VBScript as in....... onClick="functiontoupdateDB;javascript:window.location='myASPPage.asp'"
    :
    :
    : [blue]
    : C:Dos
    : C:Dos Run
    : Run Dos Run
    : [/blue]
    :
    :
    Thanks for the reply. I was considering refreshing the page, but that would require the user to re-enter all of the data they've already input. Can you think of a way to refresh just the single control without refreshing the entire page?

Thanks,
    Cory

: : : I have a form in an ASP page that contains a drop down list with a button that opens another page if the user wants to add another entry to the list. Once the user adds a new entry and returns to the original form, the newly added item doesn't appear in the list.
    : : :
    : : : I was hoping someone knew of a way, via JavaScript or ASP, to refresh or requery the drop down list control () so the new item appears in the list.
    : : : Thanks,
    : : : Cory
    : : I'm guessing your drop down list is loaded through ASP? if so I'm also assuming that you are loading the data from a file or database and adding there entry as well? If that is the case then you can simply reload the page with JS or VBScript as in....... onClick="functiontoupdateDB;javascript:window.location='myASPPage.asp'"
    : : [blue]
    : : C:Dos
    : : C:Dos Run
    : : Run Dos Run
    : : [/blue]
    : Thanks for the reply. I was considering refreshing the page, but that would require the user to re-enter all of the data they've already input. Can you think of a way to refresh just the single control without refreshing the entire page?
    :
    : Thanks,
    : Cory
    :
    :

Sorry, I'm not sure how you could do that, but you could refresh the page by using a ASP query string, or cookies to pass the data back into the form on the refresh.

[blue]
    Run Dos Run
    [/blue]

• corydeppencorydeppen Posts: 3Member
    : : : : I have a form in an ASP page that contains a drop down list with a button that opens another page if the user wants to add another entry to the list. Once the user adds a new entry and returns to the original form, the newly added item doesn't appear in the list.
    : : : :
    : : : : I was hoping someone knew of a way, via JavaScript or ASP, to refresh or requery the drop down list control () so the new item appears in the list.
    : : : : Thanks,
    : : : : Cory
    : : : I'm guessing your drop down list is loaded through ASP? if so I'm also assuming that you are loading the data from a file or database and adding there entry as well? If that is the case then you can simply reload the page with JS or VBScript as in....... onClick="functiontoupdateDB;javascript:window.location='myASPPage.asp'"
    : : : [blue]
    : : : C:Dos
    : : : C:Dos Run
    : : : Run Dos Run
    : : : [/blue]
    : : Thanks for the reply. I was considering refreshing the page, but that would require the user to re-enter all of the data they've already input. Can you think of a way to refresh just the single control without refreshing the entire page?
    : : Thanks,
    : : Cory
    :
    : Sorry, I'm not sure how you could do that, but you could refresh the page by using a ASP query string, or cookies to pass the data back into the form on the refresh.
    :
    : [blue]
    : C:Dos
    : C:Dos Run
    : Run Dos Run
    : [/blue]
    :
    :
    How would you refresh the page via ASP?

: : : : : I have a form in an ASP page that contains a drop down list with a button that opens another page if the user wants to add another entry to the list. Once the user adds a new entry and returns to the original form, the newly added item doesn't appear in the list.
    : : : : :
    : : : : : I was hoping someone knew of a way, via JavaScript or ASP, to refresh or requery the drop down list control () so the new item appears in the list.
    : : : : : Thanks,
    : : : : : Cory
    : : : : I'm guessing your drop down list is loaded through ASP? if so I'm also assuming that you are loading the data from a file or database and adding there entry as well? If that is the case then you can simply reload the page with JS or VBScript as in....... onClick="functiontoupdateDB;javascript:window.location='myASPPage.asp'"
    : : : : [blue]
    : : : : C:Dos
    : : : : C:Dos Run
    : : : : Run Dos Run
    : : : : [/blue]
    : : : Thanks for the reply. I was considering refreshing the page, but that would require the user to re-enter all of the data they've already input. Can you think of a way to refresh just the single control without refreshing the entire page?
    : : : Thanks,
    : : : Cory
    : : Sorry, I'm not sure how you could do that, but you could refresh the page by using a ASP query string, or cookies to pass the data back into the form on the refresh.
    : : [blue]
    : : C:Dos
    : : C:Dos Run
    : : Run Dos Run
    : : [/blue]
    : How would you refresh the page via ASP?
    :
    :

Sorry I should have been more clear, I don't mean to refresh the page with asp, you would have to use js or vbscript for that, but you could pass the values in a qrystring for example

[code]
    '>

function RefreshMe()
    {
    var Name = document.frmOne.txtName.value;
    window.location = "myASPPage.asp?Name=" + Name;
    }
    [/code]

will refresh the page and automaticly set the value of the passed value into the text box, if it is blank then nothing will show up for the value.

[blue]
    Run Dos Run
    [/blue]