Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Beginner

CGuy35CGuy35 Member Posts: 29
Hello,
Basically, I want to get into embedded programming. A few years back when I was an electronic tech looking for a job I remember seeing a lot of ads for "PIC Basic Programmers." I worked in firmware for two years and am somewhat proficient with C.
It seems that in order to get into PIC programming I would need to get the PIC Basic Pro Compiler and also a burner.
Yesterday while looking up the subject on the web I found out that you can also program PIC controllers with C. And, there are other microprocessors that will allow you to use a C compiler as well.
So I have a few questions. ( I know I need to get a book on the subject.)

1. Is there a freeware C compiler that would allow me to program microcontrollers? I would not mind purchasing a compiler but if I can get a free one why not? If there is no free compiler then how about ne that I can purchase?

2. If there is such a compiler what MPUs can I use with it, and what burner do I need? Are there any sites with example code and projects?

3. Are there any C compilers free or commercial that I can get that can program the PIC family of microcontrolers? If so, what burner would I need?

Thank You

Mark

Comments

• LundinLundin Member Posts: 3,711
    : Hello,
    : Basically, I want to get into embedded programming. A few years back when I was an electronic tech looking for a job I remember seeing a lot of ads for "PIC Basic Programmers." I worked in firmware for two years and am somewhat proficient with C.
    : It seems that in order to get into PIC programming I would need to get the PIC Basic Pro Compiler and also a burner.
    : Yesterday while looking up the subject on the web I found out that you can also program PIC controllers with C. And, there are other microprocessors that will allow you to use a C compiler as well.
    : So I have a few questions. ( I know I need to get a book on the subject.)
    :
    : 1. Is there a freeware C compiler that would allow me to program microcontrollers? I would not mind purchasing a compiler but if I can get a free one why not? If there is no free compiler then how about ne that I can purchase?
    :
    : 2. If there is such a compiler what MPUs can I use with it, and what burner do I need? Are there any sites with example code and projects?
    :
    : 3. Are there any C compilers free or commercial that I can get that can program the PIC family of microcontrolers? If so, what burner would I need?
    :
    : Thank You
    :
    : Mark
    :
    :

I think that gcc supports many PIC derivates (http://gcc.gnu.org/).
    I know that it also supports Motorola 68HC11 and 68HC12 so I imagine that it supports other common micros too (probably 8051).

http://www.piclist.com/ seems to be a nice site for PIC developers.

• CGuy35CGuy35 Member Posts: 29
    Thank you very much