Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Can you do this with JS?

Dab1969Dab1969 Posts: 53Member
Say you have a HTML Forms page and you want to take the data that is entered on that page and save it to the users hard drive, but in a comma delimited text file. Can JS be used for this?? If so, could someone provide some examples please??

Thanks
David

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : Say you have a HTML Forms page and you want to take the data that is entered on that page and save it to the users hard drive, but in a comma delimited text file. Can JS be used for this?? If so, could someone provide some examples please??
    :
    : Thanks
    : David
    :
    No, that would be considered a major security hole. In addition, any HTML page could write a virus to any-one's harddisk.
  • Josh CodeJosh Code Posts: 675Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by Josh Code at 2004-5-1 9:17:44[/red][/b][hr]
    : Say you have a HTML Forms page and you want to take the data that is entered on that page and save it to the users hard drive, but in a comma delimited text file. Can JS be used for this?? If so, could someone provide some examples please??
    :
    : Thanks
    : David
    :

You can write files to a person's harddrive. To deal with security problems, the viewer of the page will always be asked for permission to make the file, however.

JScript(something made by Microsoft) has a File object that you can use.

There are ActiveX objects to use. Click the link below for a reading example.
    http://www.theserverside.com/discussions/thread.tss?thread_id=18599
    This object can also be used for writing files.

take a look at this too.
    http://www.webreference.com/js/tips/001031.html

I tried it out with Netscape and Internet Explorer and it only worked for Internet Explorer.

Here is the code I used:
    [code]

[/code]
  • WeirdofreakWeirdofreak Posts: 439Member
    ActiveX is IE-only (I'm not sure if IE Mac works, but who uses that when there's Safari?), and I'm pretty sure you need a plugin, although it's one that comes by default.