Can you do this with JS? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Can you do this with JS?

Dab1969Dab1969 Posts: 53Member
Say you have a HTML Forms page and you want to take the data that is entered on that page and save it to the users hard drive, but in a comma delimited text file. Can JS be used for this?? If so, could someone provide some examples please??

Thanks
David

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : Say you have a HTML Forms page and you want to take the data that is entered on that page and save it to the users hard drive, but in a comma delimited text file. Can JS be used for this?? If so, could someone provide some examples please??
    :
    : Thanks
    : David
    :
    No, that would be considered a major security hole. In addition, any HTML page could write a virus to any-one's harddisk.
  • Josh CodeJosh Code Posts: 675Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by Josh Code at 2004-5-1 9:17:44[/red][/b][hr]
    : Say you have a HTML Forms page and you want to take the data that is entered on that page and save it to the users hard drive, but in a comma delimited text file. Can JS be used for this?? If so, could someone provide some examples please??
    :
    : Thanks
    : David
    :

You can write files to a person's harddrive. To deal with security problems, the viewer of the page will always be asked for permission to make the file, however.

JScript(something made by Microsoft) has a File object that you can use.

There are ActiveX objects to use. Click the link below for a reading example.
    http://www.theserverside.com/discussions/thread.tss?thread_id=18599
    This object can also be used for writing files.

take a look at this too.
    http://www.webreference.com/js/tips/001031.html

I tried it out with Netscape and Internet Explorer and it only worked for Internet Explorer.

Here is the code I used:
    [code]

[/code]
  • WeirdofreakWeirdofreak Posts: 439Member
    ActiveX is IE-only (I'm not sure if IE Mac works, but who uses that when there's Safari?), and I'm pretty sure you need a plugin, although it's one that comes by default.