Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Passing values from Tkinter Button to separate function

ChozenChozen Posts: 7Member
Okay, let's say that I have 5 Entry boxes, and the user enters the required info into each. Now, I want to collect that info, and then send it to a function when the user clicks on a Button.

Example:

[code]a_value = Entry(master=frame, width = 15).pack(side=LEFT, anchor=N, padx=2)
a = Entry.get(a_value)

b_value = Entry(master=frame, width = 15).pack(side=LEFT, anchor=N, padx=2)
b = Entry.get(b_value)

etc...

go = Button(master=frame, command=send(a, b, c, d, e))
go.pack(side=LEFT, anchor=N, padx=2)[/code]

But, the function send immediately runs this way, so I thought I could use lambda, making go = :

[code]go = Button(master=frame, command=lamda a, b, c, d, e: send(a, b, c, d, e))
go.pack(side=LEFT, anchor=N, padx=2)[/code]

However, I get the following:
[code]Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:Python23liblib-tkTkinter.py", line 1345, in __call__
return self.func(*args)
TypeError: () takes exactly 5 arguments (0 given)[/code]

So, I'm guessing lambda won't work (unless I'm doing it wrong ;)). Any ideas on how I can get the values from each entry to be passed to a separate function? I'm sure this is a simple problem, but I just can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : Okay, let's say that I have 5 Entry boxes, and the user enters the required info into each. Now, I want to collect that info, and then send it to a function when the user clicks on a Button.
    :
    : Example:
    :
    : [code]a_value = Entry(master=frame, width = 15).pack(side=LEFT, anchor=N, padx=2)
    : a = Entry.get(a_value)
    [/code]

It's been a while since I tinkered with Tkinter, so I'll have to do some more research on your questions. One thing that looked odd to me is that you're setting a_value equal to the return value of the pack() method. Is that what you really wanted to do?

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]

• ChozenChozen Posts: 7Member
    : It's been a while since I tinkered with Tkinter, so I'll have to do some more research on your questions.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

: One thing that looked odd to me is that you're setting a_value equal to the return value of the pack() method. Is that what you really wanted to do?

Well, thats not what is in my code, I wasn't at my home comp, and typed it all on one line, but it does work that way.

: Okay, let's say that I have 5 Entry boxes, and the user enters the required info into each. Now, I want to collect that info, and then send it to a function when the user clicks on a Button.
    :
    : Example:
    :
    : [code]a_value = Entry(master=frame, width = 15).pack(side=LEFT, anchor=N, padx=2)
    :
    : b_value = Entry(master=frame, width = 15).pack(side=LEFT, anchor=N, padx=2)
    : b = Entry.get(b_value)
    :
    : etc...
    :
    : go = Button(master=frame, command=send(a, b, c, d, e))
    : go.pack(side=LEFT, anchor=N, padx=2)[/code]
    :
    : But, the function send immediately runs this way, so I thought I could use lambda, making go = :
    :
    : [code]go = Button(master=frame, command=lamda a, b, c, d, e: send(a, b, c, d, e))
    : go.pack(side=LEFT, anchor=N, padx=2)[/code]
    :
    : However, I get the following:
    : [code]Exception in Tkinter callback
    : Traceback (most recent call last):
    : File "C:Python23liblib-tkTkinter.py", line 1345, in __call__
    : return self.func(*args)
    : TypeError: () takes exactly 5 arguments (0 given)[/code]
    :
    : So, I'm guessing lambda won't work (unless I'm doing it wrong ;)). Any ideas on how I can get the values from each entry to be passed to a separate function? I'm sure this is a simple problem, but I just can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I haven't spent much time thinking about this, but the solution seems to be to assign your button a command function that doesn't take any arguments. Something like:

[code]
    def send():
    a = Entry.get(a_value)
    b = Entry.get(b_value)
    # etc...

go = Button(master=frame, command=send)
    go.pack(side=LEFT, anchor=N, padx=2)
    [/code]

Maybe that will help?

[code]
    no rows returned
    [/code]

• ChozenChozen Posts: 7Member
    : I haven't spent much time thinking about this, but the solution seems to be to assign your button a command function that doesn't take any arguments. Something like:
    :
    : [code]
    : def send():
    : b = Entry.get(b_value)
    : # etc...
    :
    : go = Button(master=frame, command=send)
    : go.pack(side=LEFT, anchor=N, padx=2)
    : [/code]
    :
    : Maybe that will help?

I thought about doing that, but, The "go" button is part of a toolbar-esque thing, which is its own function. So if I do that, the values won't be able to be attained.
    : : I haven't spent much time thinking about this, but the solution seems to be to assign your button a command function that doesn't take any arguments. Something like:
    : :
    : : [code]
    : : def send():
    : : a = Entry.get(a_value)
    : : b = Entry.get(b_value)
    : : # etc...
    : : go = Button(master=frame, command=send)
    : : go.pack(side=LEFT, anchor=N, padx=2)
    : : [/code]
    : : Maybe that will help?
    :
    : I thought about doing that, but, The "go" button is part of a toolbar-esque thing, which is its own function. So if I do that, the values won't be able to be attained.

Then it sounds maybe like you'll need to do a class like this:

[code]
    class ToolbaresqueThing(Frame):
    def __init__(self, master = None, ???):
    Frame.__init__(self, master)
    self.a_value = Entry(self).pack()
    self.b_value = Entry(self).pack()
    #etc...
    self.go = Button(self, command = self.send)
    def send(self):
    a = Entry.get(self.a_value)
    b = Entry.get(self.b_value)
    #etc...
    [/code]

It's been a while, but I believe you can subclass Tk Frames to make your own composite controls.

[code]
    no rows returned
    [/code]