Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

noob question : Oracle ksh script

delljohnbdelljohnb Member Posts: 81
First off, please excuse my ignorance on this matter, I'm a VB/Pascal hardcode programmer and I have been "drafted" to find a solution (shouldn't have missed that meeting...LOL).

Anyway, on my server, there is a ksh program (I'm assuming that this is a compiled script). This program populates some data tables. This program is set to run every evening. My problem is that I need to periodicaly run this executable on command.

Here is my question(s) :

Is there a way that I can run this program (I'm assuming that it is an executable file)? If so, do I have to use an interface/console program, or can I use a commandline program to call this program and run it (kind of like running an exe from a dos prompt)?

Another question (blushing on this one) :

Does SQL have a command interface where I can access the program/script and execute it rom there?

Once again, I apologize for my ignorance on this whole subject.

Your assistance is appreciated,

Respectfully,
Delljohnb

PS. if an answer to my above questions would require too long an explanation, if you could direct me to a good resource in the net to learn more about this, I would appreciate it.

Comments

• infidelinfidel Member Posts: 2,900
    : First off, please excuse my ignorance on this matter, I'm a VB/Pascal hardcode programmer and I have been "drafted" to find a solution (shouldn't have missed that meeting...LOL).
    :
    : Anyway, on my server, there is a ksh program (I'm assuming that this is a compiled script). This program populates some data tables. This program is set to run every evening. My problem is that I need to periodicaly run this executable on command.
    :
    : Here is my question(s) :
    :
    : Is there a way that I can run this program (I'm assuming that it is an executable file)? If so, do I have to use an interface/console program, or can I use a commandline program to call this program and run it (kind of like running an exe from a dos prompt)?
    :
    : Another question (blushing on this one) :
    :
    : Does SQL have a command interface where I can access the program/script and execute it rom there?
    :
    : Once again, I apologize for my ignorance on this whole subject.
    :
    : Your assistance is appreciated,
    :
    : Respectfully,
    : Delljohnb
    :
    : PS. if an answer to my above questions would require too long an explanation, if you could direct me to a good resource in the net to learn more about this, I would appreciate it.

ksh is the short name for "Korn Shell". ksh is one of the "standard" shells on UNIX systems. The "DOS Prompt" is the default non-GUI shell on Windows machines. So the question of whether or not you can run such from a command line is rather moot. ksh scripts are by default run from a command line. More than likely it is scheduled to run every evening by a program called "cron" or something similar. cron basically just keeps a list of command lines and executes them at scheduled intervals.

Notice that i called it a script. All shells allow scripts to be written, much like .bat files in DOS/Windows. They are executable, but only by a shell that knows how to interpret them. They aren't compiled like you normally think of executables. This means they can be edited with any text editor.

Oracle has it's own shell, SQLPlus. I don't believe you can execute shell scripts from within sqlplus, but I could be wrong.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]